ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Hi, I wanted to get the best, most authoriatative and expert advice I could find and believe I've come to the right place. I'm very concerned about my sister---she's in college and loves studying for hours every day in the bathtub---she's got a 5/8th's thick 1' x 3' plywood board running across the bathtub right in front of her---on that board sits her laptop computer, her mouse, not to mention books, papers, occasionally food or drinks, ETC. The laptop is not running on batteries---it's connected to the wall socket. If the mouse or laptop accidentally drops and is knocked off the board and into the water she is sitting in, is she a goner? She's been doing this for months now.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
hi oktomorrow.

ask if the receptacle that your sis is using is a GFI, if so have her test it with the buttons on it's face , they say 'test' and 'reset'.

theoretically, this limits the current to 4-6 ma should the lap top take the dive....

ps~ does she study marine biology? why the tub? [Linked Image]

B
Holey shi tzu.

O
My sentiments exactly, Bjarney! Sparky, the outlet she is using is NOT equipped with GFI. The house was built a bit before that requirement was enacted. Even if the outlet had the GFI feature, I personally could not rest my life on it. They do malfuction and quit working occassionally I understand. Her love of the tub runs in the family, but she exemplifies the trait the most. ha. Thank you for your replies!

[This message has been edited by oktomorrow (edited 10-10-2002).]

R
The laptop itself is fed through a transformer that lowers the voltage to the level required to operate the computer. However, if the transformer falls in with the computer, the line voltage (120 volt) will be applied to your sister while she is in the tub and she will die.

T
Ask her to prearrange her funeral !!!
No doubt another Darwin award candidate!

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 10-11-2002).]

Donnie
O
The transformer would not fall into the water as it is across the bathroom about 7 feet away from the tub. It says input 100-240V and output says 16V - 3.75A---does that guarantee her safety if the laptop gets wets or falls into her bathwater? I wonder about the mouse too. Got an email from her today that said, "If it makes you feel any better I now have a reinforced tray with actual edges on it, that I am using. That way it lessens the chances of anything falling in." That didn't make me feel better even a little bit. The wall socket is not up to code, does not have GFI. My sister is an adult and I feel awkward even bugging her about this, but I see the danger as very real and have imagined her husband coming home and seeing her laying there dead. I figure now is the time to say something, not later. She reads what is written here, so please let her have it. ha. You just may save her life!

[This message has been edited by oktomorrow (edited 10-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by oktomorrow (edited 10-11-2002).]

S
uh..Sis...this is not good ok?

P
I wouldn't be at all happy about this arrangement either.

Even if the transformer output is only 16V, it's amazing how much difference it makes when a body is totally immersed in water. It is on record that 32 volts has proved fatal, given certain circumstances.

Does this laptop have a modem and phone line connection as well? If so, let's not forget that a ringing phone line can have up to 120V AC superimposed on 50V DC. If that goes in the drink as well.... [Linked Image]

E
The power transformer had to pass a leakage test (electricity, not water!) in order to get a safety listing. That's one hazard taken care of. I see very little real risk here - not that's it's a good idea to do what she's doing. Maybe a barely noticeable tingle from the 16 volts. I'm not vollunteering to put this to the test or anything... With a GFI I'd have no concerns whatsoever, aside from ruining a laptop.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard