ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146591 01/27/07 07:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
OK if Paul can post a thread about Part P, I can about the problems we have had here with Home-owners taking liberties with their "interpretations" of the 1992 Electricity Regulations.
Since I have been working as an Inspector, it seems that a lot of people mis-read what was in the original document for homeowners.
It seems to a lot of people here that you just go on your own merry way and wire your own switch-board, even though you aren't allowed to.
One place I went to just after Xmas, the lady there told me she had re-wired the house herself, with some help from the nieghbourhood kids.
I asked to look in the roof and under the floor to see if the wiring was compliant.
I was refused a look in the roof and under the floor.
I said that on the basis of the Inspection, her house had failed and would not be being re-connected as planned.
She then said to me that I had no power not to re-connect her house and she would be seeing her lawyer.
I said I have your pillar box fuse in my pocket and it will not be re-inserted until this place is certified to the PoCo standard.
Later that night I was rang by my Boss telling me that the lady had served a Protection Order on me and I was not to return to the premises, or be within 100m of her.
Guys, I am not some sort of flake that posts these sorts of messages, these things really happen.
We have an un-ordinary number of strange people here in Ashburton.
I'm glad I wasn't born here!.

#146592 01/27/07 09:12 AM
P
Mike,

Can you point us toward the details of ECP51?

#146593 01/27/07 06:29 PM
R
Mike, is that storey true?

This country is going the wrong way with the law on the side of crooks and non compliancies.

If that place required inspection you require access to all electrical wiring and equipment to check if it complied with the regs.

I would also put a seal or sticker across the service fuse to check if it is not tampered with.

Those type of people will connect it up themselves and burn the house down, so you can put the fire out.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#146594 01/28/07 04:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
ECP51

Will open as a PDF file.

{Message edited to fix URL}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-28-2007).]

#146595 01/28/07 05:17 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Ray, that story is as true as I wrote it.
NZ is going down a bad road.
Just think of all the houses that have been "modified" and have never been inspected.
Reason I say that is because, there are quite a few houses here have caught fire because the house has been rewired, but have used the old switch-board.
No upgrade to MCB protection.
I remember seeing a few years back a house that had been rewired and the two aerial wires (both Phase and Neutral) glowing in the dark.
The heat from the pole fuse body was too hot to touch even with Hot gloves and outers on.
A lot of people don't realise how much of a danger they are to themselves and those around them.
A fuse is supposed to be the weakest link in a circuit, inside the house, some clown had installed strands of wire from a 25mm2 cable that was from the guy bringing wire home from work.
He was a plasterer working on a commercial building site.

#146596 01/29/07 09:16 AM
Mike, if you must post fiction, at least get your scripts correct, then we can all enjoy the acting without the scenery wobbling about.
A Family Court Judge issued a Protection Order, which is for urgent family domestic violence situations, on a complete stranger involved in a petty dispute with a Poco customer - then the Police illegally served the Order on your Boss and not you, the Respondent? <wobble><wobble><wobble>

Wood work but can't!
#146597 01/31/07 05:20 AM
K
Protection Order ! Trumpy, say it ain't so !

You can't get a protection order taken out against a PoCo inspector can you ?

This would be a new low !

#146598 01/31/07 07:07 AM
P
Something definitely sounds rotten in the state of Denmark..... Er, New Zealand. Mind you, if the judicial system there has become as messed up as it is in Britain, I guess anything's possible. [Linked Image]

Oh, and thanks for the link Mike. I haven't had a chance to read through the document properly yet, but I'll get to it!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-31-2007).]

#146599 02/02/07 01:51 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Alan,
Mike, if you must post fiction, at least get your scripts correct, then we can all enjoy the acting without the scenery wobbling about.
A Family Court Judge issued a Protection Order, which is for urgent family domestic violence situations, on a complete stranger involved in a petty dispute with a Poco customer - then the Police illegally served the Order on your Boss and not you, the Respondent?
It was the Police that served the protection order on me, they are responsible for the issuing and serving of documents like this, people seem to think that you can just make problems go away with not letting anyone that could harm you (financialy or otherwise).
I had a word to one of the Sergeants at the local Police station and he said not to worry about it.
He said he would see that the PO was dropped.
As you say Alan, these things are for real emergencies where people could be harmed.
But, you look also at the people that ring up the 111 system here with diabolical problems but not an emergency.
We are looking at getting a 222 system here to stop these clowns clogging the 111 system up with un-necessary time-wasting drunken idiots trying to call a taxi or thier power has gone off because they haven't paid the bill for the last 4 months.
Good Grief!. [Linked Image]

#146600 02/02/07 10:33 AM
P
We are looking at getting a 222 system here to stop these clowns clogging the 111 system

We've just recently acquired a 101 non-emergency number here in a few trial areas to complement the 999 emergency system. It's supposed to cater for the same sort of things as the 311 number which is available in some American cities.
http://www.101.gov.uk/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard