ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 475 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145346 04/23/06 06:31 AM
T
I just wanted to share a few stories about temporary power for a good laugh/scare [Linked Image]
Last week I went to an old house in the area that they're basically gutting. The old service had been underground, a pillar at the fence, cable running through the yard to the main fuse on the facade. From the pillar everything had been disconnected. A new cable ran out of the pillar through a hole in the back, to a small red box with some Schuko and red CEE receptacles. I doubt there is a meter anywhere. Ground? Well, a ground rod sticks out of the ground a good 1m or even more, with a long 25mm2 ye/gn wire running to the red box...

EC gets called to put in a new riser in a 1900 apartment building and rewire the stairway lighting. (Company where I worked for a month last summer). Of course no receptacles to be seen in the stairway and basement. So what does the foreman do? Looks into the ground floor main fuse box (every floor has a box with main fuses for every apartment), finds a set (hot and neutral) of unused 25A Diazed fuses (pre-meter). Has me go to the basement for two 50cm pieces of 1.5mm2 conduit single (Ye), colors don't matter, and to the car for: two big strip connectors and two 25A fuses...
Proceeds to screw the strip connectors to the pins of the extension cord Schuko plug, put the 1.5mm2 wires into the other end and hook up everything to the 25A fuses. Then close the steel door of the fuse box, squeezing in the cord for strain relief.

Think I already sent in a picture of the classic way... squeeze stranded wire into the threads of the Diazed fuses...

#145347 04/25/06 05:50 AM
P
I suppose using strip connectors onto the plug pins is at least a step up from just wrapping the conductors and taping them on!

Jamming bare wires into the holes with the plug of another appliance was a favorite trick here, along with the matchstick trick, as demonstrated here:
http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/pifs/pifs_a-f/electricityhazards1970.rm

(Real Video 10, 962KB)

#145348 04/25/06 06:28 AM
T
Probably you're right...
I saw another nice thing. Cord with Schuko trailing socket and French plug. Strip connectors on the pins, connecting to a short length (15cm) of 2x0.75mm2 cord with molded Euro plug...

Link Copied to Clipboard