ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
It's amazing how often you find it sitting on top of the conduit which makes the exercise pointless.

I understand there's a new marker tape soon going on the market which is intended to go under the cable or conduit.

It's going to be marked with "Warning: You have just cut through an electrical cable!" [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
All distribution stuff here has to go in red ducting. No direct burrial anymore.

K
Nice one Pauluk. I've heard that the new marker tape you mentioned is available with Braille writing.Handy for when the flash has rendered the shovel-users eyes inoperative. [Linked Image]

As for "flexible cords pulled through garden hose". That is actually a step up from "flexible cord buried direct".

I think everyones in agreeance though that only armoured or screened cables should be "buried direct". No matter what the regs say.

K
P.S. If the budget allows, then use conduit pipe. A buried screened cable may fail safely, but will still need to be dug up and repaired. This can be very costly and may be avoided with the use of a few bucks worth of conduit pipe duing installlation.

D
Here in OZ when cable is buried direct you have to install a thick protective strip. It's not a code requirement to install a marker tape for underground conduit but it's often done anyway. It's amazing how often you find it sitting on top of the conduit which makes the exercise pointless.

The problem is the wiring rules tell us that.......

Wiring systems installed underground shall be identified by an orange
marker tape complying with AS/NZS 2648.1.
The marker tape shall be

(a) positioned not more than 200 mm above the wiring system or any
additional mechanical protection provided;

[This message has been edited by Dapo (edited 03-11-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Dapo (edited 03-11-2006).]

B
Wiring systems installed underground shall be identified by an orange marker tape complying with AS/NZS 2648.1.
The marker tape shall be —
(a) positioned not more than 200 mm above the wiring system or any additional mechanical protection provided;

It also states that a marker tape is not needed for orange conduit. I can't understand why they decided that. It appears they only considered someone manually digging it up rather than by mechanical means.

There is a proposal for the next edition that marker tape is always installed and placed at approx half the depth of cover.

P
Sometimes it doesn't matter what markers and warnings are provided.

Back when I was at the BT satellite station, there was one time when they had outside contractors in to dig foundations and other trench work for one of the new dishes and associated buildings.

One of the diggers was stopped just in time to avoid his shovel going through one of the site's 11kV distribution cables (fortunately one that wasn't energized at the time, but he wasn't to know that).

When hauled in front of the manager and asked why he didn't stop when he hit the huge marker tape with "DANGER High-voltage cable below" emblazoned in gigantic letters along it, his reply was, apparently:

"Oh, yes, I saw that. I didn't think it was important."

[Linked Image]

T
Sure about PVC, not HDPE for gas??
No, not really. About the only thing I know about it is it's yellow plastic.
Supposedly a gas company employee one said that after ten years under a busy street that kind of pipe is as flat as a pizza... still they keep installing it. Our gas mains leaked in five spots on a distance of 15m...

Trumpy Offline OP
From RODALCO:

Top one is the pre warning strip, just thin plastic, 4 inches wide ( 10 cm ).
( put in trench at around 30 cm depth )
Bottom one is the magslab. it is 6 or 8 inches ( 15 or 20 cm ) wide and ¼ inch ( 6mm ) thick.
This will be on top of the sand in which the cable is laid. ( 60 cm or deeper )

Comes in 25 metre rolls or pre cut 1 metre sections to be put over buried cables.

[Linked Image]

A lot of new cables now these days go in pre drilled heavy duty conduit.
These will have no warning strip above it, If a digger scrapes the ground it will possibly not break the conduit and therefore not damage the cable.
These methods are used extensively in Auckland now in OHUG programmes and for 11 and 33 kV feeder upgrades.
These feeders are laid in the middle of the road and manholes provided for termination joining pits.

T
Some of the protective strips I've seen here actually go together like a jigsaw. I _think_ they were from the cable company, but they might have been phone too (the phone lines were laid in 1992 when I was 7, and the cable not much later).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard