ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 80 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
djk Offline
European fridges and freezers arn't THAT small to be quite honest.
OK the types that fit a standard "unit" i.e. the size of a European washing machine or dryer are quite small but they're designed for use in an apartment / very small house.

The typical full size fridge freezer has far more efficient use of space than a typical american side-by-side unit. The insulation's more efficient and thus the sides / back and doors of the machine are much thinner. They also don't use the same method of cooling the interior. The evaporators are built into the walls of the cabinate's interior. Automatic defrost is accomplished in a totally different way.

We invested in a Bosch US-style side-by-side (made by Maytag badged by Bosch) and to be quite honest it's not all that good. The storage space is comprimised by all of the hugely thick doors / fans / water coolers / ice makers etc etc

The standard Bosch full height european fridge-freezer we already have fits things like pizzas etc much more effectively and has substantially more space in the fridge area.

There are also european 4-door freezers that are pretty huge

The other major difference between appliances on either side of the atlantic is the tendency in Europe to build everything in. The fridge and freezer space in a kitchen may be scattered around the kitchen and disguised as cupboards.

Cooking appliances (ovens and hobs) tend to be built in and split up too.
It's not unusual to have an 80cm cooking surface thesedays.

In general, I think in Europe we just have a more modular system and do tend to have a range of appliances that will fit apartments / smaller homes but if you do want something big... you can quite easily get it.

Also, in terms of clothes washers... a front loader will generally wash a large load than an equivlant sized top-loading agitator machine. The newer machines squeeze a LOT of capacity out of a standardsize cabinet.

The agitator machines used in the states tend to look big, but they don't really effectively wash large loads (I have used machines on both sides of the atlantic)

You do have vastly larger dryers though! On the other side of it, a european washing machine will spin your clothes dry at about 1600 to 1800 rpm..

At the end of the day It's all just supply / demand and different focuses in each market [Linked Image]

Europeans are starting to look for more capacity and Americans are starting to look for more efficiency and flexbility so, perhaps we'll all meet in the middle at some stage.

There's no question though, looking at those ads, that prices have plumetted and fridges are about 4 times bigger [Linked Image] Lifestyles have changed a lot too.. in the 1970s and even 1980s frozen convenience food was the big thing ... hence the giant chest freezers and small fridge were ideal for many homes...
By the 1990s everyone became far more "foody" and started expecting a LOT more from their convenience food ... Suddenly the chilled ready-meal, salad in a bag, pre-prepared chilled vegetables, fresh juices etc etc became the norm and suddenly we required huge fridges..

Also, in most parts of the states the climate has traditionally meant that you guys had to refridgerate absolutely everything ... You also have some rather more scary insect life that will munch on it if you dont [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 11-26-2005).]

T
During the colder months our refrigerator is only half as full as it is during summer because we can put stuff into the built-in closet below the kitchen window, which basically has outside temperature.
Our chest freezer used to be in the small room originally designed to be a servant's bedroom. It gave up the ghost when I was around 8 years old and was replaced with an upright refrigerator-freezer combo, the top and bottom half each being the size of standard units. If we ever manage to clear the basement of old construction materials (mostly salvaged doors and wooden floors) we plan on buying a new one.

P
pauluk Offline OP
You also have some rather more scary insect life that will munch on it if you dont

You know what they say about everything being bigger in America? That includes the bugs! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Hoover is now producing a rather curious washing machine. It's a top-loader, but the drum still rotates about a horizontal axis. That axis actually runs left-to-right, so the drum is turned 90 degrees compared to a conventional front-loading machine.

You have to open the lid on top, then turn the drum around until you get to the opening hatch on it. I first saw one of these in Comet a few months ago, and it sure looked an odd arrangement. The machine is only 16" wide though, so I guess it might be handy for narrow spaces.

http://www.hoover.co.uk/docs/product.asp?id=114

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-27-2005).]

O
My mum had one of those sideways-drum top loader washing machines back in the 1980s, made by Miele, it was a washer-dryer.

C
C-H Offline
We had a washing machine that looked just like that back in the 80's, made by UPO. I think the idea with the trum supported on both sides was to make it more durable.

G
hmmm, does away with the door seal too...

D
djk Offline
Paul,

Those drum-based toploaders are quite common and popular in France in particular. They usually have a taller deeper drum that isn't as wide so they can fit a similar amount of clothes as a standard front loader but take up less floor space. They're ideal in a small apartment.

There are usually two doors in the drum that can only be opened by pushing them inwards. So, during the spin / wash the doors can't be pushed open by clothes at the inside of the drum.

There's a second door on top that seals the tank

P
pauluk Offline OP
From Alan Belson:

Here's a 'top-loader' from the mid 1920s!
[Linked Image]

Ahh yes,
The old wringer washing machine!.
We had one of them at home down in Temuka when I was growing up.
The wringer rollers were something you really had to watch when feeding clothes into them.
One seconds in-attention and your fingers would be through the rollers.
Which I might add, is a rather painful experience. [Linked Image]

Denise preferred our old 'Hotpoint Twintub', and we only went 'auto' when it finally expired and they were no longer sold. We then got a Hoover, with a big square plastic plate; you 'programmed' it by poking the plate into a slot, remember those? That Hotpoint conical agitator remained the same design for 40-odd years, because it worked. Maytag?- I believe that name has been mentioned recently in US posts? The Hotpoint mangle had been superceded by a spin-drier alongside, and there was a perforated 'fluff filter' thingy that could be fitted over the paddle, plus a pump for emptying / circulating. Good machine, the casing wound up as a garden incinerator for quite a few years.

Alan

PS. Mike, that's a powered mangle with a worm & wheel drive. It would have dragged your whole arm in!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 11-30-2005).]

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard