ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP

Interesting Paul,
Having done a wee bit of church work in the past, it makes me wonder why they didn't just use a scissor-lift?.

2 men, two days to erect a bit of scaffold and change 5 light bulbs!! The lazy, idle buggers, they want a good kick up the aisle! Any half-decent scaffolding team would be in and out of there in 3 hours flat with everything back on the truck. I had scaffolders who put up a three-lift all round my 5 bedroom house in England in 4 hours, and that included several mugs of builders and chatting-up the neighbor's daughters.

Remembered banter went something like this;-

Scaffolder. "'Allo darlin', wot sort of dogs that wot you got there, then?
Pretty girl "Well, it's a German Shepherd, actually".
Scaffolder, (in mock-terror, hauling himself effortlessly up to the next lift with one muscular arm). 'Ere 'Arry, theres a Kraut down 'ere, dressed up as a bleedin' dog!"

Mind you, I notice the article was in the Daily Mail, so it's probably all a load of eyewash!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
pauluk Offline OP
So who or what do you think is actually to blame here?

1. The EU directive itself.

2. Some British HSE bureaucrat adding his own interpretation to that directive and ordering companies to comply.

3. Somebody in the company over-reacting to the "risk assessment" directive and making things needlessly complex.

My instinct on this is to go with #2, simply because that seems to be happening all too frequently these days.

O
According to a posting in news:uk.d-i-y [1] there were faulty fittings which had to be matched and replaced, and involved new mountings being drilled into the church fabric.

AIUI the HSE don't ban the use of ladders for tasks of less than 30 minutes where there is no need to let go of the ladder with both hands.

[1] news:<4dbcccc598dave@davenoise.co.uk>

WANTED URGENTLY!!
ELECTRICIAN WITH THREE ARMS.
MUST BE A FAST WORKER AND HAVE OWN LADDERS.
GOOD RATE FOR THE RIGHT PERSON.
APPLY IN THE FIRST INSTANCE
TO FATHER SUTCH,
ST. BENETS CHURCH,
NORFOLK

Wood work but can't!

Link Copied to Clipboard