ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#144173 10/26/05 02:26 PM
O
PaulUK: The padlock and red brackets are used for locking-off the isolator. There are holes on the side edges of the rocker. The red brackets grip into these holes and prevent the rocker being depressed into the ON position. The two halves of the bracket are padlocked together so the bracket cannot be removed without the key.

Uppeydog: The isolator can be mounted anywhere, but if it is not under the control of anyone working on the fan it must be lockable-off so the fan cannot be energised inadvertently by someone else.

#144174 10/27/05 06:34 PM
U
Owain Glyndwr (where have you been for the last 600 years?),
thanks for that. My mate wants to put this fan right above the shower, is there any distance specs. for that, he's got 4 kids, i.e. 4 showers, stacks of steam & condensation.

Thanks, William Wallace!

All I Wanted Was A Cup Of Tea!!
#144175 10/28/05 07:59 AM
P
Hi Owain, welcome to ECN.

The two halves of the bracket are padlocked together so the bracket cannot be removed without the key.

Ah.... Thanks. I've not come across one of these types yet, and I wasn't thinking about the bracket being in two sections. It's obvious looking at it now that it has to be two parts, otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit it onto the rocker.

Some days the old gray matter isn't firing on all cylinders...... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-28-2005).]

#144176 11/01/05 06:27 PM
O
The position of the fan (and isolator) is subject to the same Zone requirements of all bathroom electrical appliances. These are summarised at
http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bathroom_electrics/bathroom_electrics.htm

If the Zones / IP rating cannot be complied with, low-voltage fans (some incorporating a light) are available, or in-line fans can be used in ductwork outside the bathroom.

#144177 11/12/05 12:05 PM
B
Uppeydog,
if you are positioning a fan within a bathroom (shower room) please ensure that the Building Regulations are adheared to.

these supercede the wiring regulations within a domestic dwelling.

we, ( when we do domestics, and that aint often ) position the fans in accordance with the building regs, over a shower we use a SELV ( 12v) fan the power supply/timer unit is usually mounted externally of the room on the wall coupled with a triple pole switch disconnector, from the general lighting supply.

we do not, ever position a switch inside the shower room / bathroom area, unless it is a pullcord for the general light.

be carefull on this one as it comes under the infamous PART P regulations and is `notifiable` addition to the installation , unless you are just changing the fitting,.

PaulUK have you an abridged version of PART P?

Britspark

( we try not to have anything to do with domestic dwelling works as they are a pain in the axx ).

#144178 11/13/05 11:41 AM
P
The only legally enforcable requirements under the Building Regs. are already so short that there's not much to abridge:

PART P ELECTRICAL SAFETY

Design, installation, inspection and testing

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury.

Provision of information
P2 Sufficient information shall be provided so that persons wishing to operate, maintain or alter an electrical installation can do so with reasonable safety

The requirements of this Part apply only to electrical installations that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are -

(a) in a dwelling;

(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;

(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or

(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling."

That's it!

The actual Statutory Instrument which added Part P is the usual wordy bureaucratic prose, but it does have the list of works which are exempt. Scroll down to Schedule 2B:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

The "Approved Document" for Part P can be downloaded from here:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130906

There is nothing in this document which is actually the law in itself, but it does include a summary of the works exempt from notification on page 11.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-13-2005).]

#144179 11/20/05 05:39 PM
U
Paul Owain Britspark,

Thanks for the professional replies.
Although an original installation, have placed it in a zone 3. On/off light/fan switch outside door. Triple pole isolating switch mounted inside loft door.

Uppey.

All I Wanted Was A Cup Of Tea!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard