ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 196 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#140586 08/23/04 02:55 AM
A
Things seem to have settled down O.K. here in the Midlands. One small independant Elec wholsaler I use still seems to have quite a stock of old colours in 6491x but all other stuff is available in new colours. Even managed to get 100mts 185mm x 4core new colours with a next day delivery to site. Pretty good I thought. I travel all over the country from time to time and still find the West Mids on of the best places in the country to get materials quickly. Paul it sounds pretty grim where you operate!

#140587 08/24/04 01:05 PM
H
What's happening with our antipodean colleagues? Will Australia, New Zealand and South Africa follow suit?

Four years ago South Africa was still red, white and blue for phases.

#140588 08/24/04 02:35 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I was going to mention this in the Aussie/NZ rules thread, but as it's been brought up here.......

[Linked Image]

Am I missing something elsewhere in AS3000, or is this the only place where any colors are specified?

Is certainly looks as though the days of yellow phase B are numbered in New Zealand.

What's noteworthy here is that the standard doesn't seem to specify colors for phases. Tne British IEE Regs. have explicitly stated that red/yellow/blue shall be used since 1964 (and red/white/blue before that time).

I note also that the alternate "Euro" standard actually states the neutral shall be light blue, as was the original intention here.

#140589 09/10/04 06:03 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
BDC in Norwich have now added brown to their range of 6491X cables (single-core for use in conduit), but there's no sign of gray yet. They still don't seem to have 6242Y (twin & earth) in the new colors.
Newsflash: The September BDC catalog has just arrived.

They are now listing harmonized 6242Y (2+earth) and 6243Y (3+earth) cables, but only in 1, 1.5, and 2.5mm sizes, yet all the conventional 6242Y/6243Y is now listed as "Available while stocks last."

They seem to have the full-range of harmonized 2, 3, and 4c SWA (armored) in all sizes up to 25mm though, again with old colors listed as "While stocks last."

Meter tails are now brown and blue only -- They've dropped red and black entirely.

6491X (singles for conduit) is now listed as available in red, black, brown, blue, and green/yellow. Have they decided that nobody is going to wire 3-phase in conduit any more? [Linked Image]

I really don't understand how this particular place is going about the changeover. It seems to make no sense.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-10-2004).]

#140590 09/11/04 08:50 AM
U
One thing about these harmonised colours that bugs me a little is that I have yet to see the relevant colours available in tapes for phasing etc...

One thing at a time I suppose... [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#140591 09/11/04 06:44 PM
Paul,
Am I missing something elsewhere in AS3000, or is this the only place where any colors are specified?
Not sure if I quite get what you mean?.

Is certainly looks as though the days of yellow phase B are numbered in New Zealand.
Yes, Paul, as far as the PoCo that I work for goes, Yellow is non-existant now with new stuff.
All new mains, feeders and the like, all have the White B Phase.
Cable manufacturers here started using white as soon as they found out that a change was in the wind, in fact even before the amendment to the Regs came out.
Just as a small note too, I have seen over the years here, with older Underground cables, Orange was also popular as the colour for the B Phase too, before yellow, so I am told by older folk at the PoCo. [Linked Image]

#140592 09/20/04 02:04 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Not sure if I quite get what you mean?
Sorry, I might have been a little cryptic there. What I meant was that this table is the only reference I could find to color coding, and it doesn't explicitly specify the phase colors. Just red, or any color other than black, blue, green, or green/yellow.

The British regs. explicity state that phases A, B, C shall be red, yellow, blue respectively (or brown, black, gray under the new system).

I think the last part of your post about orange as phase B in some installations confirms that you have no specifically defined phase colors, just an accepted convention. Right?

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard