ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 164 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Geez, that's not a residential extension cord, that's a monster! Domestic extension cords here are usually 3x 1mm2 or even 3x 0.75mm2. Sometimes you'll also see 2x 0.75mm2 Euro extension cords, though they're rare.
Talking of butt ugly christmas lighting setups, I saw one just a few minutes ago. Returning from a hard day at the University I entered our front yard, gladly noticing the (cosmetically) ugly light string above the door had gone out. However looking right I was in for an even worse shock. A small bush is now decorated with flashing bulbs all over. Power supply: Some thin extension cord squeezed through my cousin's window at about ankle-heigth, plug-and trailing socket connection lying on the ground in wet snow, only wrapped into a translucent shopping bag. Gotta take a pic of that setup as soon as it has stopped snowing so i can get out with the camera.

D
djk Offline
I'll take a few of some installations around here too.

I've even seen strings of small dainty outdoor lights going into a brute of a CEE-17 (blue plug) makes that south african set look like they've a neat plug.

P
Paul, who are you quoting above – has the post been withdrawn?

No, nothing has been withdrawn. It's a quote from the link that Dave posted above:
http://www.noma.co.uk/christmas/faq/christmaslightingsets.htm

It's supprising as that's from an xmas light company and I don't really see any huge differences between European and US setups

My sentiments as well, hence my somewhat sarcastic comment!

:
in germany, its mostly like texas ranger said before.

Mini lights indoor: Europlug with 0,75mm² wire, all lamps in a row, mostly with bypass bridges (they usually work), white or green wire.

Mini lights outdoor: None available for 230V, only with transformers to 24V. then thin 2x0,25mm² or so wires, connected usually in groups, means for example 10x 2,5V lamp in series, and these series in parallel at 24V. mostly white or mulit, very few in single color, i paint mine myself. wide spread quality and lifetime differencies.
Bypass bridges, but often dont work so one fails, 10 are down.

Bigger candle lights indoor:
usually all in series, 0,75mm² wire, that plug thats like Schuko, but without the grounding. Often one wire is plugget into the back of the plug, can be removed for easier tree wiring and then be plugged back in.

Bigger candle lights outdoor:
As above, but double insulated wires, water-tight plug, rubber rings between socket and lamp for water protection.

C7 and C9 lights are not used here, (sadly, i like their shape), only these ones for example:
[Linked Image from vis-technik.bayern.de]
the diameter of the red shaft is about 0.4 inch.

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 12-17-2003).]

P
Years ago there were light chains sold here using the larger MES base bulbs.

I still have some of these, now arranged for parallel operation on a transformer and underrun a little to lengthen bulb life. Replacements for the plain candle type are still obtainable, but some of the fancy-shaped ones are very hard to come by now.

I have a few of these bulbs which I know for sure have been used almost every Christmas for the last 40 years! [Linked Image]

T
I've got two fancy old strings that use bulbs with threads that look like standard flashlight bulbs. I still have a few replacement bulbs but if they ever blow... I doubt I'll get those fancy yellow, purple, green and blue bulbs any more. The sockets are a bit loose, so i have to retighten all bulbs each time I use the strings (pretty rare). IIRC 16 bulbs in series, no bypasses. Round ungrounded plugs. I'd never put them onto a christmas tree (most people here don't really consider colored lights on a christmas tree really high culture, still lots of real candles here) but they make real great party lights, I think the last time I used them was a birthday party. They always somewhat remind me of "Eyes Wide Shut".

C
An observation I've mae in USA vs Canadian lights is that A: I have rarely noticed fused Canadian strings (either minis or parallel outfits). I belive the large part of US sets to
be fused.

USA outdoor mini strings sometimes use thinner wires, where all approved Canadian outdoor mini strings use an extra heavy insulation.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
SCHWWEEEEEET!

Can't wait to see pictures.

So, Mr. Trump, what do New Zealanders do in terms of X-mas lights? [Linked Image]

P
I've got two fancy old strings that use bulbs with threads that look like standard flashlight bulbs.
Yep, they're the MES (Miniature Edison Screw) bases.

The fancy ones I still have include a white & green twisty candle, a pink & white, and a couple in red & white shaped like Santa Claus!

Sven,
So, Mr. Trump, what do New Zealanders do in terms of X-mas lights?
Well, for your normal old Xmas tree, you'd pretty much have the same sort of thing as the UK, albeit with different plugs
But, Boy have I got some pics to upload to ECN on a few Fireworks Xmas lights, that I have recently been involved with installing.
Rated at 8kW a piece(pulsed current) they are something to be seen!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard