ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 366 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#139065 10/18/03 04:59 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I was working around the shop at work last week when I was asked by the new shop assistant, If I knew anything about Electricity?!.
I was told that there was a guy that had a problem, with his Irrigation pump.
He said that his Main Switch had burn't out at the pump panel and that he wanted to replace the thing himself.
This is where things started to get ugly, he asked me if he was allowed to climb his pole, to remove the things with the loops on the ends of them (22kV DDO links), I told him to leave the {nasty words excepted here people!}things alone!.
He then told me that I didn't know what on earth I was talking about, I lost interest at this stage.
I tried to 'xplain that anyone that uses these sorts of fuses wears Gloves and uses a Hot-stick to effect a Disconnection, but, I might as well as being talking to a Brick wall, all he said was, so I can do this!!.
I am not responsible for that advice!!!. [Linked Image]

#139066 10/18/03 05:20 AM
D
djk Offline
I presume that is illegal? I know here you'll get pretty heavy fines and even jail for doing anything to PoCo property. (Old legislation dating back to the 1920s)

#139067 10/19/03 08:44 AM
P
to remove the things with the loops on the ends of them (22kV DDO links), I told him to leave the {nasty words excepted here people!}things alone!.
He then told me that I didn't know what on earth I was talking about

Do you mean to say that he believes those links are 230V?

Frying tonight...... [Linked Image]

#139068 10/20/03 12:51 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
djk, Paul,
You have to realise that a few of our farming community over here are a law unto themselves.
They will do any work that they "think" they should be allowed to do.
I have had more than one run-in with the odd farmer as a Faultsman and they either don't listen to any advice that you have for them, or you get told that you don't know what you are talking about and then they say that they will call someone with more knowledge of Lines and Electricity than yourself.
One idiot over here, took out an 11kV Underground Feeder, by ramming a post for a deer fence through it and man did he whinge and scream when he got the repair bill, he even told the Power Company Accounts girl, that had he known it was going to cost that much to fix it, he would have done it himself!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard