ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#138795 09/30/03 07:19 AM
T
I long ago stopped caring how people spell my name.

Yeah, me too. I graduated from High School with honors, so I got to a session with our district mayor where I got an impressing looking certificate, which is actually good for nothing except for hanging it above my sofa... and besides it spells my name "Rognar"!

Hmmm, lemme think about those words. Almost all of them either aren't German words or are horribly misspelled. Fried is English, but definitely not German, apple, thrasher and banger probably too. Horowitz is a jewish name. Spelterwasser could be Selterswasser, some ,kind of mineral water. Bahnwagen is railway car. "gutenabend bitte ein nurnburger bratwustle" would be "Guten Abend, bitte ein Nürnberger Bratwürstl", "Good evening, a Nürnberg (city in Germany) style sausage please."

(remainder of translation edited to keep PG Rating)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-01-2003).]

#138796 09/30/03 06:39 PM
P
Oh dear -- The perils of making up words to mock another language and accidentally stumbling upon something offensive. Do you think I should edit out anything here?

. Fried is English, but definitely not German, apple, thrasher and banger probably too
What might be relevant to rest of the quote is that banger is British slang for a sausage -- The peculiar British-style sausage, which is nothing at all like weiners, Brotwurst or anything like that.

France, according to the story, has mostly nuke plants. Which need to operate full tilt all the time. So France exports the excess power during low demand periods, and Italy was absorbing most of it.
That rings true. Last I heard over 75% of France's capacity is nuclear.

#138797 10/01/03 07:28 AM
T
(remainder of translation edited to keep PG Rating)
Jeez, and tried real hard to keep it decent! Must be the difference between Austrian and US mentality. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Anyway, the "name" contained a _real_ bad word mostly used by adolescent males around 12 or 13 (not sure they even know what exactly they're talking about...)

#138798 10/01/03 10:38 AM
Administrator
Jeez, and tried real hard to keep it decent
You did a good job at that, no problem there. To clarify, I don't want anyone to think that your comments (or ThinkGood's) were anything but proper. No offense could be taken from anything that either of you said.

I thought it would be best to remove the words in question since we do get a very varied audience I thought there might be some that would not need translation and might be offended by seeing the words. I was trying to be considerate of anyone that might be visiting.

FWI,

Below are the statistics (sitewide) for yesterday (Sept 30, 2003) in Visitor Sessions from the Top 15 Countries (where source is known).

1 United States 8,078
2 Canada 196
3 Singapore 72
4 UK 70
5 Mexico 62
6 Japan 36
7 AU 34
8 Netherlands 28
9 Germany 22
10 Austria 21
11 Sweden 21
12 Italy 17
13 Qatar 15
14 Saudi Arabia 13
15 Belgium 13

Bill

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-01-2003).]

#138799 10/01/03 05:41 PM
T
No offense taken! I keep forgetting I'm not the only German-speaking visitor here [Linked Image]

Back to the power outage: Now all people keep guessing why the line broke at all.
Some say a tree fell on the line. Now everybody's wondering why they can't keep the area around the lines clear of trees.
Honestly boss, that wasn't predictable! The tree must have gone up to the line unnoticed and then it must have thrown itself deliberately on the line! Honestly, this fall the beasts are real wild again!
by a Swiss sparky

#138800 10/01/03 06:03 PM
P
Ragnar,
That's why I was asking if I shoud edit out the posts as well. ECN gets a wide range of visitors and we don't want to offend anyone in their native language if we can avoid it. Thanks for doing the necessary Bill.

Some say a tree fell on the line. Now everybody's wondering why they can't keep the area around the lines clear of trees.
I can't help thinking of the railways in Britain:

"We weren't expecting snow in January."
"THere were leaves on the line."
"It was the wrong sort of snow."

And yes, with the heatwave this summer they actually came up with "The wrong sort of heat!" [Linked Image]

#138801 10/01/03 08:32 PM
B
Off-topic a bit, but there are some good trouble-call stories at this link.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-01-2003).]

#138802 10/02/03 08:36 PM
P
We were called to a house for a low service line. Upon arrival I noticed the line was in very good shape and high enough. The lady came out and said she was worried about the wire being so close to her house. I assured her there was no danger and the wire was all insulated. She insisted it was dangerous and said ever time she went in the room she can smell the electricity. I looked at my buddy and asked her what she smelled. She said every time she goes into the bedroom she can smell the electricity. I causally told her to get an electrician and pass the roof mast through the roof. We will then attach our service cable over the roof and the smell would go up in the air and not in her house.

Hmmm.... I wonder if this story actually had a serious side to it.

Don't you think the lady could have had an arcing connection somewhere in the room?

#138803 10/03/03 01:50 AM
I reckon that these series of power failures DO in fact have something in common with solar activity.
I read somewhere back in 1993 (near to the last sunspot cycle at the time) that the Earth could expect to have problems with thier power grid systems over the next 20 years, communications systems were also mentioned in the article.
But, the article did mention that this sort of thing would be caused by solar winds carrying charged particles, of a magnitude never seen before.
I'll see if I've still got the mag that this article was in, at the time I never really took the comments on board. [Linked Image]

#138804 10/03/03 09:13 AM
D
djk Offline
So electricians should be selling their tools and looking at a career as a gas lighting expert instead?

Electrical systems are potentially very fragile in weird EM fields. Although then again considering that our nervous systems are basically chemo-electric large EM feilds could really mess with us too! Maybe it explains the dark ages! [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard