ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#137991 08/06/03 02:59 PM
C
C-H Offline
Just one comment: European practice is to use three-phase transformers, not three single phase transformers. They also tend to be large and pad mounted, unless serving only a small number of houses.

The advantage of a three-phase transformer is the lower total cost.

The advantage of single phase transformers is that you can have the same transformers for both single phase and three-phase lines. The more single phase lines per three phase lines (on the LV side) you have, the more likely you are to go for this solution.

#137992 08/06/03 05:23 PM
P
That goes for the U.K. too. We have single units for 3-phase delta-wye MV-LV xfmrs, like this pad-mount type:
[Linked Image]

or this pole-mount unit: [Linked Image]

(Both of these are 11kV delta primary, 240/415V wye secondary.)

Single-phase transformers are normally used only where a single-phase 240V service is required for one or two isolated houses.

Re "distributed neutral" -- I'm refering to the situation where MV distribution is 3-phase 4-wire, so that a neutral is run along with the phases, thus enabling a 3-ph xfmr to be connected either delta or Y on the primary (and single-phase xfmrs to be connected either between two hot phases or from phase to neutral).

In my travels, it is only in the U.S.A. where I've seen a distributed neutral on MV lines. Admittedly my travels on this side of the Big Pond are restricted to the U.K., France, Ireland, and Spain.

Could it be that your rules are just specifying a wye system on the LV secondary side? That seems much more likely.

Delta LV supplies seem to have been a particularly American system.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-06-2003).]

#137993 08/07/03 12:21 PM
B
Belgian Offline OP
I have informed myself further and it seems that I got it wrong. All MV/LV xfmrs are here Delta/Wye. Sorry for the misinformation.

#137994 08/08/03 09:03 PM
Belgian,
Over here, Y/D(or D/Y, depending on which sort of supply you are after) transformers form the bulk of our Distribution system.
D/D transformers are used on really long stretches of line, as a voltage stabiliser and these are normally run through some sort of an automatic tap-changer.
Just a note about transformer earthing, regardless of where a tranny is installed, it has to be earthed by a driven earth stake, this earthing is regularly tested.
According to ECP 35 over here, the use of the Earth Potential Neutral as a common between the LV and MV sides of a transformer, is to be avoided, because of the very real risk of back-feeds. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard