ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136483 04/03/03 06:59 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Well,
It's happened again, it looks like New Zealand will be facing another power crisis, if it doesn't rain soon.
Some people are even getting in quick to buy generators to use.
This is where the link with reality,STOPS!.
Some people are buying these 3,4 or 5kVa generators and are then calling up an Electrician, to have them wired into their Main Switchboards, most of them don't like being told(forcefully,sometimes)that it can't be done.
One guy even thought you just plugged the thing into the nearest socket-outlet! [Linked Image]
But the over-riding factor, in all of this, is the fact that, most of the people that I have spoken to, actually believe, that you can comfortably run a whole Residential Installation (63A max), on a 3-5kVa Generator! [Linked Image].
What do you guys,think of all this?.

#136484 04/03/03 09:09 AM
P
Been there, although it's not common for people here to have their own generators.

Had to explain once that I would need to install a transfer switch, put the circuits that would be run on generator power onto a separate panel, and that their little 3kW unit would not run the electric range, power shower, and immersion heater as well as everything else.

#136485 04/03/03 04:30 PM
F
he he he paul no matter where we are at it is the same story allover the places about using small generator i have fair amout of horrour stories about many peoples try to hook up the generator in illegal way some case soo disugsting that i i refuse to do it

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#136486 04/04/03 12:07 AM
O
Trumpy when the same people sell it that generate it, Its always gonna turn to shyte!!

#136487 04/04/03 02:08 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Appy,
You're right there mate!.
This must be the third or fourth year running that we have had this threat and yet we are told it's to do with the weather.
Before the Power "reforms", I don't think there was ever a problem with the amount of Electrical Supply Capacity and considering that another 3 dams have gone "on-line" since then, would make you wonder if somebody's bottom line isn't having a crisis, instead. [Linked Image]

#136488 04/04/03 04:30 AM
O
Trumpy,
They are scum, our granparents built all those Hydro's and they Thrash them running at full noise when there is no need, to lower the levels in the lakes to keep the spot price in orbit. In the mean time they have Huntly running at baseline.
Oh don't start me on Generation & Supply in this shyte hole, If only someone would build a generator that was cost effective and efficient, they could kiss my hairy you know what.

SANTA
Craig wants his own 20kVa supply for Chrissy

[This message has been edited by old Appy (edited 04-04-2003).]

#136489 04/04/03 05:44 AM
P
How many times have you heard,

"Oh, it wouldn't cost much just to hook-up this generator to the nearest outlet?"

Then they get the shock that the heavy-duty transfer switch can cost 60 pounds alone!

The other one I've heard from time to time, is "How much cheaper electricity would be if I just used my own generator." [Linked Image]

#136490 04/04/03 07:45 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
That's exactly what I mean!.
Most people just have absolutely no comprehension of the cost involved in installing a Gen-set, let alone, the required maintanence, Fuel?(whats that?),
half of them want No-Break systems, but don't even know how a Gen-set works, most assume that you just switch it on and BANG, you've got full, constant Line Voltage and the same people hate being told that their Generator won't handle the fridge or freezer starting up.
Appy,
There was a guy up your way that built his own 1000VA generator from scratch, I think that he actually posted his plans on the net. [Linked Image]

#136491 04/24/03 11:16 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Dapo,
I've heard that a lot of places in Australia use Generators and other forms of Alternative supply, some even supplying whole communities.
Could you please tell me what sort of system is most popular?. [Linked Image]

#136492 04/25/03 10:59 AM
D
djk Offline
It's not unusual in Ireland to use CHP (combined heat and power) units in reasonably large commercial premises some of which switch over when peak usage rates etc kick in to cut costs.

Ireland's generation capacity is also being streched to its limits and the ESB seems to be actively encouraging people to get off the grid during peak times where possible.

In large commercial applications CHP can be extremely efficient from an over-all energy consumption point-of-view and when implemented correctly can cut-down on the quantities of CO2 produced as they don't waste as much energy as conventional large scale powerplants and distribution systems.

On a small scale for a single house it wouldn't really work.

One or two large industrial operations actually generate more power than they need and sell the excess back to the grid.

In Cork for example the sewage treatment plant and the landfill (dump) produce their own power from methane produced as a byproduct of their processes and sell the rest back into the grid.

I've seen shopping centres (Malls) that use CHP too though as it's cheaper than buying electricity (at least at peak times) and buying natural gas to heat seperately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard