ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
C-H Offline
Djk,

Generally for amounts in thousands it's far safer to avoid comma usage completely and use spaces.

Ahh, now we are three (you, me, Hutch) who agree on this [Linked Image]

There's also a weird convention in Ireland that "Euro" and "Cent" have no plural (i.e. "2 euro and 15cent, not 2 euros and 15 cents). Does that apply elsewhere too?

This is indeed the official way throughout Europe. I think the EU has said that it doesn't care what people use, but suggest this official form.

Also the position of the Euro Symbol (?) ... We always put £ before the amount but many other countries put their symbol after the amount and are continuing to write Euro prices the same way e.g. 2,99 E(?)

The Euro symbol should be treated just like £ and $. However, if you are writing 'Euro' it should be after.

Pauluk,

In English, 5:30 would be "half past five," but I think the Germans phrase it as "half before six" or something like that.

Swedes use the latter form. 5.30 (or 17.30 [Linked Image] ) is "halv sex", as you are halfway to six. It gets a bit more complex with 5.25, "fem i halv sex", literally meaning "five in half six"

I had no idea that there was a UK keyboard. Why on earth did someone invent such a thing?

Swedish keyboards have the less commonly used keys like colon, question mark and backslash in other positions than the US keyboard. A PITA when you ran DOS and DOS-based software which often forced the use of the US keyboard. Murphys law dictated that you always pushed the wrong key.

I once wrote an e-mail in a Canadian internet-café, using the alt key + number to get the Swedish characters. It went just fine until I mistyped the number for the last character and the e-mail was deleted. [Linked Image]

B
Trumpy,
To use your Euro sign which is situated next to the 5 key, you have to press the right alt key and the 5 key simultaneosly. If it doesn't work, then you have to change your input language to "English (United States) - United States - International".

[This message has been edited by Belgian (edited 06-18-2003).]

C
C-H Offline
Or set the keyboard to Swedish and push the letter E and Alt Gr simultaneously. [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
or if you're using a Mac press Option(Alt) + 2 (marked with a Euro symbol)

B
Looks like in Winders it's Alt+0128

doesn't work, but bold and italics seem to.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-18-2003).]

P
pauluk Offline OP
I have a better idea to keep it simple -- Why don't we just adopt the U.S. dollar as our official currency? [Linked Image]

The American-version keyboard I have on this system has no £-sign, of course, so I have to use alt-156 to enter one. Foreign currency symbols have long been a problem on computer systems, as they're not part of the standard ASCII character set (why would they be?). Printers need the correct character set as well: I still sometimes receive letters from govt. departments in which the £-sign prints as some accented European character instead.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard