ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Please direct your questions and comments here for discussion, regarding UK Power Systems Schematic Drawings #1 thru #4, located in the "Technical Reference" area under the topic:

UK Power Systems #1 thru #4

These drawings were created by ECN member "PaulUK", and re-drawn in AutoCAD format by ECN member "Nick". I just converted them from .DWG [AutoCAD file format], to .GIF format - then uploaded and posted them.
Special thanks should go out to these two members for their contributions! [Linked Image]

Scott SET ... posted 10/20/2001 04:35:00

*Message edited to create hyperlink directed to schematics*

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 10-20-2001).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
N
Well, I thought I proofread these drawings thoroughly. I just noticed I drew the neutral links as fuses. [Linked Image]

Nick and Paul,

Great Job! Thanks to both of you for taking the time to present this to us!

Paul,

I've been meaning to ask, what type of 'armored cable' was used in direct burial of the old systems? Is there a similar product on the market today? Or, was that determined to not be a good idea (I notice it's not mentioned in any of your descriptions of more modern systems)

Bill

Bill
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Well, I thought I proofread these drawings thoroughly. I just noticed I drew the neutral links as fuses.

Nick,

Would you like me to fix this, then re-post the schematics?

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
N
Scott,
Yes. Thank You

P
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you all - Had a really busy couple of days.
Nick & Scott,
Thanks for taking the time to do these AutoCAD posts; much neater than my hastily drawn skethes.
I was going to mention the neutral links drawn as fuses, but you noticed it yourself anyway.
One other minor point: If you are trying to indicate the wire color codes accurately, the hot leg of the single-phase service cable to the house main fuse is always red, not the color of the phase it is connected to. (I drew all houses tapped off blue phase for convenience, although obviously the services are evenly distributed between the phases.)
Bill:
My thanks to you too, of course, for scanning and posting my original sketches.
The original underground cables had a lead armor and were then wrapped in some sort of hemp/bitumen compound. They can still be seen in older systems, but to the best of my knowledge are no longer made (too expensive, plus the modern paranoia about lead, no doubt).
Later cables used steel wire armor with a similar outer covering. Modern replacements are steel wire armor with a tough PVC jacket. (See SWA cable 6942X, 6944X in the TLC catalogue, pg. 14.)

P.S. In overhead distribution areas, single-core SWA-PVC cable is now commonly used for an underground service from the nearest pole. The armor is the concentric neutral, and in PME serves as protective earth as well.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-21-2001).]

N
Scott,
Can we change the color too? I'll send you updated files today incase it saves you time.
Nick

Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
OK, it took me a few days [Linked Image] to get things going, but I have re-posted the UK schematics #1 thru #4 with the corrections [conductor color codes and Neutral links]. Corrections done by Nick.

In AutoCAD, I moved the text on the lower right side so the schematic[s] will fill as much of the "Zoom To" window, prior to exporting as .BMP and all that baloney. Those who are CAD users will understand this junk.

These drawings are great!!! Feel free to create more of them!!!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
P
Looks good to me now.

By the way folks, 3-phase service to commercial premises follows the same basic arrangements as for 1-phase residential.

Obviously the meter is 3-ph and there are 3 main service fuses. A main 3-ph GFI can be found, although for large installations it's more likely there will be two or more "main" GFIs to avoid the whole lt going off if one trips.

The only other major difference for 3-ph is that the main switches and/or main GFIs are 3-pole and do not break the neutral.

S
I can't find the thread, but there was a discussion on power transmission and how a noodle/ground was needed. Here it is created on the premisis ( or close to it) [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard