ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131434 08/21/03 01:59 AM
I've been saddled with a computer to fix again and I've got a USB question.

It's a small Gateway Desktop that only has USB ports to connect the mouse, keyboard, etc. The ports in the back of the machine don't work, but there are 2 in the front that do. No problems shown in Device Manager and it looks ok inside the box (ports hard-connected into board).

I can't see that this came with 2 ports not working and I need one to connect a printer to. I know that there there is a USB splitter available, and may have to resort to that, but wanted to try to get these ports working first.

I was wondering if something was turned off or changed in setup, but I can't get in there. The screen says press F1 to enter setup .... but ... I press the keys and nothing happens, it seems like keyboard (USB) input is not recogized until later in the boot process way past the time that it's needed to enter setup.

I even tried tricking the system into entering setup. It doesn't care if there's no keyboard attached, it starts up anyway. Unplugging the hard drive (power) just makes it ask for a boot disk.

To back up a bit, this is not the original keyboard, and they changed the OS from ME to XP. Do you think either would make a difference in when the keyboard (or USB port) becomes active?

I have to believe that getting into setup worked before. Any educated opinions out there on whether it's the keyboard or the XP that's keeping it from working?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-21-2003).]

Bill
#131435 08/21/03 06:53 AM
P
Bill,
I think your inability to get into the BIOS setup is a consequence of using a USB keyboard.

The drivers which install the USB keyboard won't become active until well into the boot process, long after the BIOS has stopped looking for F1 from the console.

Can't you plug a regular PC keyboard into the normal keyboard port and get into the BIOS setup that way?

#131436 08/21/03 07:24 AM
T
Bill:

Do you have any further information such as the model number?

#131437 08/21/03 10:28 AM
Paul,

That's what I was thinking, but there are no other types of ports on this computer except for Video, Telephone and Speaker jacks.
I can't believe that a company with Gateway's reputation puts out something like this.

TG,

It's a FLEXATXSTC BRO ESSENTIAL 866
mfg. date 12/18/00

I'll ask today if they still have the original keyboard.

Bill
#131438 08/21/03 02:33 PM
F
Bill,

The BIOS should be able to recongnize a USB keyboard, assuming that someone did not disable that option.
Try holding down some keys during the boot process. Most of the time you'll get an error message about a stuck key.. Press F1 for setup or F2 to continue.

#131439 08/21/03 02:55 PM
ftl-eric,

Thanks for your response!
I have forced computers into setup many times before by doing what you describe, but it just doesn't work with what I have here. The problem might be that it's a new super duper Logitech which may need drivers to load too before it functions.

I should be able to get the other keyboard later today and hopefully that will get me somewhere.

I'm surprised that this computer, manufactured 2-1/2 yrs ago has a USB Keyboard and the Dell I bought 2 months ago doesn't.

Bill

Bill
#131440 08/21/03 06:55 PM
P
Another possibility:

As the executable code for setup is in ROM, it's possible to enter the setup routine from DOS by simply executing code from the correct address. (Which can be done from DEBUG with the command G=####:#)

The only problem is that the adress will be dependent upon the BIOS and I don't have a list. It might be available somewhere on the Net.

#131441 08/21/03 10:08 PM
R
Bill: Who makes the BIOS? Award, AMI, Phoenix? Also, are you getting any beeps whaen you POST?(power on self test)

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 08-21-2003).]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#131442 08/22/03 10:54 AM
Ryan,

Do they Beep anymore?
Anyway, this one doesn't.

It goes right to a Gateway 'Splash' Screen as soon as it's turned on, no Bios info etc.

Maybe I'm too 'old-fashioned', but I like to see the boot process and don't care for all of the OS coverups that the major Computer makers devise for the systems they sell.

I'm still trying to get another keyboard to try, because at this point if I was able to get into setup I doubt I would be able to navigate it or change anything with the Logitech keyboard. I'm wondering if I should look into it from the Logitech angle too, I'm wondering if some driver or utility installation would help here?

Bill

Bill
#131443 08/23/03 08:31 PM
Part of the problem is solved. Upon close examination of the rear USB ports it became obvious that they were damaged, probably from forcing plugs in the wrong way. So, getting into the setup won't help anyway. I went up to the local computer shop and got a 4-way USB splitter for $19. That should get things up and running.

The fact that the XP they installed is counting down to oblivion (must be registered) is another issue, but it should be out of my hands before then....

I hope they have all the restore CDs. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard