ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 516 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
If time could back flow 200 years,you should have been another Ohm.Thank you pauluk and your kitchen jumping!

But things have not yet ended!
1)From pauluk's experiment results,the neon tester is good stuff for astronaut,because astronaut is floating!!Is that right??!!!!

2)The capacitance effect I mentioned is different from what you are thinking about.It is too complicated to explain here.It involve the electric current speed in the leads.

Anyway thank all you guys,thank you pauluk!

[This message has been edited by peterpang (edited 01-18-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
The pocket tester I have will work just stuck in the socket without anyone holding it. Wonder how the circuit gets completed?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
M
I am a data cabling tech and I have one of these pen testers to see if an outlet is live when I am connecting equiptment and I have noticed in my down time when playing with this tester that when I rub the tip of this tester quickly on my jeans the lamp lights, I am not in any contact with any source of electricity and this thing lights up. Can anyone explain that? It has puzzled me for some time now.

P
The pocket tester I have will work just stuck in the socket without anyone holding it.
Maybe sufficient capacitive coupling to ground? Presumably this is a 120V tester, so the series resistor would be a much lower value than for a 240V type.

when I rub the tip of this tester quickly on my jeans the lamp lights,
I would guess the friction is building up a charge, very much like the Van de Graaf generator you probably had in your school's physics lab.

I'm no expert on electrostatics, but I would think you could build up enough of a charge that way to excite the neon gas in the bulb.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard