ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#127467 07/16/01 09:00 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000009.html

ok, this seems the to be the simple one.

what makes it tic ?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#127468 07/17/01 07:17 AM
R
Forgive my elementary explanation, there is probably more to it than this but---

The reactance of the capacitor which decreases with an increase in frequency, will allow only higher frequencies to pass through to the tweeter.

The reactance of the inductor, which increases with increased frequencies, will only pass low frequencies to the woofer.

As far as the 2nd order network, the parallel inductor and capacitor would appear to filter even further, allowing only selected frequencies to reach the woofer & tweeter?

If you're looking for math, baby, don't come looking for me.

#127469 07/17/01 04:26 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Redsy, i probably would'nt understand the math anyway.. the frequency vs. capacitive/inductive reactance has my attention....how does that work?

[Linked Image]

#127470 07/17/01 06:08 PM
R
sparky,

The impedance of a capacitive or inductive ckt. depends on the reactance of the ckt., which is related to the frequency of the current flowing.
Inductive reactance (XL) = 2 x 3.14 x Hz. x inductance (in henrys). therefore, as frequency increases, so does impedance (in ohms reactance).
Capacitive reactance (XC) = 1 divided by 2 x 3.14 Hz. x capacitance (in farads). therefore, as frequency increases, impedance(in ohms) decreases.
The drawing shows a sort of low-pass filter(woofer) which is mostly inductive, limiting high frequencies.
The tweeter section is a high-pass circuit, allowing only high frequencies, due to the capacitive nature of the ckt.
Or so I think. My terminology may be off. Someone make corrections as required.

#127471 07/18/01 11:16 PM
Broom Pusher and
Sparky,

Sorry to you [and the rest of the group] for throwing these things out with no explanation of what makes them tick or why it's so cool to have them tick in the first place.

The items that Redsy is addressing, along with why these filters [and all other AC filters] work is the term "Resonance"

Resonance in Electricity [or any Electromagnetic Radiation, such as Radio waves or Light waves], is very much the same thing that Sound Resonance is.
All things have a "Resonant Frequency". In Sound, if we match the Resonant Frequency of, say for instance a Crystal Champagne glass, we could cause it to shatter. [remember that old Audio tape commercial with the lady singer shattering the glass??].

Anyhow, the Resonant frequency of the glass is the frequency which it naturaly vibrates, like if you were to tap it with your finger. Match it and you make it shake. Shake it at a high amplitude and it shatters.

Well, the Inductors, Capacitors and Resistors in these filters have Resonant properties which, depending on their values, can be figured to Resonate at a certain Hz.
By figuring the frequency you want to pass through them, then finding the value [size] which equals the Resonant Frequency you want, they will "Shake" at those frequencies - which allows the desired frequencies to pass easily, but block others.

So to sum it up, the key on AC filters is Resonance! Shake those puppies at a desired Hz to pass that Hz! [that's the technical explanation [Linked Image]].

BTW: The Impedance Equalizer included on one Xover is to make the power amp see a more steady Impedance over the complete spread of the frequency spectrum. A Loudspeaker's voicecoil will not always have the rated Z through the spectrum of frequencies it operates on, which throws the total Q of everything to heck in a hand basket [technically speaking].

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#127472 07/19/01 03:59 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
as Spock would say,
fasinating....

#127473 03/09/06 01:08 AM
Broom Pusher and
***BUMP***

Scott35