ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12601 08/12/02 10:44 PM
M
makyts Offline OP
In existing multifamily dwelling (the action is taking place in Chicago) the part of service entrance conduit (circle area on the pictures bellow) has been eaten by rust. The building is ( and has to be ) occupied and has to survive 6 months without replacing that service conduit. Service is life front, building is 80 years old, so replacing conduit means :
1)replacing both service conduits, replacing the old service, and old feeders
2)new service conduits, new service, and new feeders size has to be according to new standards NEC2002 AND CEC2002
so this is classic “chain reactions” or (...)
Wires are also very old (around 80 years !? ) and covered with asphalt type insulation
So far nothing has happened ( no major fireworks ) but I think the clock is ticking…

Any ideas how to temporary protect ( against : rain, snow , and unforeseen events) that rusted area ?

Regards

makyts

[Linked Image from home.att.net]

#12602 08/12/02 11:47 PM
E
On a day when the area is thoroughly dry, blow out the dirt and debris with air, carefully fill the rusted out cavity with silicone caulk.
Then build a form and pour a concrete "block" over the area for physical protection.

Ed

#12603 08/15/02 07:06 PM
Ed has a good idea. Let me throw another one your way. I would build a box or chase around the conduits, and attach it to the wall. IMHO if those conductors are going to "blow up" in the next 6 months, they are going to do it no matter what you do to try to prevent it. I wouldn't be as concerned about a phase to phase fault as I would a phase to ground fault that energizes one of the service entrance conduits.
I think I would call the City of Chicago electrical inspections department, and have an inspector come out to have a look at it with you. Tell him your situation, and I'm sure that y'all can come up with a solution.

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#12604 08/15/02 07:49 PM
S
if i was u i would not touch anything i would not want to be held liable if some fireworks do start and cause a fire sometimes it is better to just walk away if they do not allow u to fix it the wright way dont do anything at all

Link Copied to Clipboard