ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124921 01/13/07 07:12 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
From John Harrison:

Old & dangerous emergency lights

These two fittings are only two of seven that we have replaced in a local chinese restaurant today,

The one fitting with the MES (miniture edison screw) lamps sill operates as an emergency light but having a bayonet fitting with a pygmy lamp running off of the supply is not a good idea.

the local fire officer had been onto the site and ordered them to review the emergency lighting system.

our company was asked to quote for the work and got it,

i am never surprised by the state of such fittings, but these were new one to me!!

the ages of the fittings were, the oldest 1981 and the newest 1984 !!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#124922 01/13/07 07:13 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#124923 01/15/07 07:37 AM
O
Also now illegal to have fire exit signs that do not have either the British Standard or European running man pictogram

#124924 01/15/07 08:26 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Also now illegal to have fire exit signs that do not have either the British Standard or European running man pictogram
Don't get me started on that one! More idiocy from a bunch of Brussels and Whitehall bureaucrats who think that when people go to another country they're too stupid to work out that exit, sortie, Ausgang, or salida all mean the same thing. [Linked Image] Even if you'd never seen the language before, how long would it really take to figure out that "xxxx" means "exit" when you keep seeing it over doors?

So we end up with thousands of perfectly good exit signs in landfill (which they claim they are trying to avoid!) and a bill to business of millions so we can have a pictogram of a man running -- Just what fire officers tell people not to do in an emergency. [Linked Image]

O.K., rant over.....

Maybe there's something in the photos I'm missing, but I can't actually see that much wrong. The fuse on the PC board of the first one looks as though it's been replaced with the wrong type. On the second fixture it looks as though the resistor below the transformer might have caused a little charring to the board, but I can't see anything else that really stands out as a problem.

John,

having a bayonet fitting with a pygmy lamp running off of the supply is not a good idea

What's the problem with a BC pigmy lamp?

#124925 01/16/07 07:01 AM
B
Paul,
as you are aware in regard to having a pygmy lamp (or any other light fitting) attached and connected to a fitting internally that has not been `factory` fitted is considered as incorrect,

if you needed a maintained (lit at all times,) or a sustained, (one source of illumination that is fed from one side of the supply, and emergency lighting control gear seperate,)
you would fit one.

what i can see that has happened, the fire officer has visited the site and told the occupants that the exit lights neede to be lit at all times, so mr sparky (i use the term very loosley) fits a cheap lamp fitting and puts a bulb in it.

this is not done, and does not comply, also the use of incandescent lamps within emergency lighting fittings is now also not allowed,

a bit of reading for you on this is BS5266 parts 1 to 7

also another good one, (or not so good if you are a company owner ) is the new RRO,

the Regulatory (fire) Reform Order which is now in place as of October 2006.

this is a nightmare for busineses

all in all, you should not adjust, add or remove any parts of a fitting in order to change its use.

britspark

#124926 01/16/07 06:32 PM
T
As an interesting piece of trivia, in Slovakia (1970s hotels) I recently saw emergency lights with BOTH the pictogram and the word EXIT on the front!
I was pretty surprised, especially in a country where far more people speak and understand German or maybe Russian than English!

#124927 01/16/07 07:31 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
having a pygmy lamp (or any other light fitting) attached and connected to a fitting internally that has not been `factory` fitted is considered as incorrect,
Ah.... For some reason I hadn't cottoned on to the fact that these started out as non-maintained fixtures. Maybe it's because the color-coding on the wires to the BC lamp holder in the first one appears to match that of the (what I had assumed to be) original wires to the PC board.

Looking at the connections in the second fixture, it's clear now that the holder has been added.

the use of incandescent lamps within emergency lighting fittings is now also not allowed,
I hadn't realized that, but this isn't an area I'm involved with (funnily enough I've just installed two new emergency lights, the first I've had anything to do with for ages).

Link Copied to Clipboard