ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#124238 09/06/06 01:42 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
There are some very good pictures here.
I'm wanting to buy a decent camera, instead of the budget one I constantly own.
What are you guys using?.
I'd like to spend a fair amount on one camera, not the NZ$120 I did with my first camera, that has a view-finder that you have to look through, not the LCD screen on the back.
Any thoughts?

{Scott, if you think that this thread is in the wrong area, please by all means move it!.}

S
I'd like to get one of those fancy digital cameras too. Though I would be snapping off pictures left and right and posting them here daily. Anyone have any suggestions for digi-cameras with Apple Macintosh capability?

L
I have a Kodak DX3215 1.3 Mega pixel i takes a bit long to boot so not good for click and runs but it's in the $600 $700 range when i gotit bad thing litum batt good runs on good AA batts

if some one hands you lemons use the juice to blind them
M
ShockMe,
Any new camera will work just fine with a mac, they handle pictures and cameras better than windows anyway. Just make sure it has USB, or you have a card reader that is compatible with your camera (About $10)

S
I've been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 for the last 2 years. 5 Megapixels, 12x optical zoom(!). Picture quality is excellent, colors are very close to original, I like it.

Nevertheless, I would not buy it again: There is no optical viewfinder, only one
large LCD which is impossible to read in bright sunlight, and a mini LCD in the
top left of the camera which would be ok but has low resolution only so you can't
really use it for precision focussing. (Yes the camera does have autofocus but
sometimes I want it to focus on a different object than it thinks). The final solution for this flaw would be an SLR type camera (was too expensive then).

For the full range of photo phun, watch out for an optical zoom with a large range, digital zoom is something you can do on your PC more conveniently.

Don't skimp on the storage capability: A picture can easily occupy 2-3 MB. My camera came with a 16MB card which is simply ridiculous, so I got a 512 MB SD card, large enough for 150+ photos (= big enough for me). Use a quality brand card here (I use Kingston or SanDisk), the cheapies frequently save on protection against electrostatic discharges which will kill the card, or are slow to store the picture so you can't take fast sequences of pictures. Card type(SD, XD, MM, whatever) is not too important as long as it's compatible to your PC/Mac/... card reader, or the camera has its own USB connection.

Planned obsolescense is a big thing in this market: Get all the accessories you will ever want for your toy as soon as you can afford them, or they may be available no longer... or just hard(er) to obtain. Also get a second battery pack so if one pack is empty, you can switch to the second. Better yet, get a digicam which uses standard batteries, and invest into some modern (LiIon, NiMH, etc., NOT NiCd!) rechargeable cells plus a good charger.

And most important: RT*M, even if it has 500 pages [Linked Image] You might find a surprise or two in there... and will make you a better photographer because you know how to adjust the camera/what you can do with it. It's really worth your time.

D
MMMMMMMMM, 5megpix.
Just how many megpix can you post? A 640x480 pic is usually excellent for the internet if that's the objective and that may less than 2mp.
However, is you want to enlarge the pic or make a decent print it would be marginal at best.
the 3mp may be a good choice for a modest budget as prints up to 5x7 should be very acceptable and 8x10 are often quite good also. But enlarging the pic decreases the pixels and thus the quality. But a 3mp pic often times is too large for the Internet postings and the pixels often are reduced anyway.
With 5mp you have more to work with when you enlarge of edit. But you still have to address the size of the picture to Email or post.
To compare picture sizes some common sizes are 640 × 480 = 307,200 pixels or 0.3 megapixels which is plenty good for the internet and most Emails, 1.3 Megapixels = 1280x1024, 3.1 Megapixels = 2048x1536, 5.2 Megapixels = 2560x2048, etc.
As you can see the picture gets larger.
And go for a good optical zoom. There are some good ones of up to 10x with image stabilization. If you have a computer to edit your pics stay away from the "digital" zooms as the ones I am familiar with reduce the mp of the pic being

Mike, what better place could there be than the Photos Section? Thanks for starting it.

I'm also planning to upgrade.
I've been running the same Olympus D-100 for years now, (at a whopping 1.3 megapixels) [Linked Image]
It still works fine, and obviously is rugged as a mule, seeing it's been thrown around in my tools daily, dropped from boom trucks and such. The case has saved the day many a time.

But the time has come.......
Digital zoom is worthless, optical zoom is great. It must use AA batteries.

Other than that I'm open to, and welcome, any suggestions.
Thanks

I have a SONY Cybershot, 3.2 MP, 3x optical zoom, uses Sony Memory Stix, & AA batteries.

Rechargables, or 1 shots. Battery appetite is on the healthy side, def not 'diet'

Pic quality is great to most people.

Someday, I may get the 'hang' of e-mailing pics!!

John

John
C
Where I am, there are all sorts of Point and Shoot digital cameras in the 4-5 MP range, with optical zoom and memory card capable (usually SD, some XD or other), for the $200-300 Cdn range. All should work with Mac just fine.

I have a Kodak Easyshare 76-something or other, 6.1megapixels, 6x optical, 6x digital (really clear!), yada yada yada. I print with an HP PSC 1310 all-in-one. My camera came with no media card, only 32MB internal memory. I have a 256 card for it, and strangely, it stores more pictures at a higher resolution than my friends 512 card! I like this camera because of the propietary rechargeable battery, saving me $$ on AAs. I take pictures, pop the card into my cheap $10 SD Card Reader (USB Cable! Where are you?), and dock the camera. Pop card back in, and I'm done.

Now, would I buy one again? No. #1, it's huge. #2, the batteries cost $79, #3, the battery clip broke one day when I took the card out, making me lose that $79 battery, #4 Slow to process in some modes, and a few others. What I do like is, the nice digital zoom, which works beautifully and doesn't pixelate the image at all.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard