ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
It looks like a very neat job. I do have a small question though, is there a lockable disconnect for the pump?

The pump is a self contained unit with 3 breakers in it, and it has a lock on the side. Frenchie those 2 12/3's are stapled side by side. The plywood is a standard practice.

Hank
F
ok thanks i can see it clear but it was hard to see it in first place sorry about that.

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

E
Nice job! Why are the staples driven at an angle?

Trik440, panels mounted to a concrete wall usually end up as rust boxes. At least ones that I have seen over the years. The wood also gives you a place to drive your staples.

TNT Tom, why would you not be allowed to mount a doorbell transformer that way?

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Since this thread has brought up protecting romex, here's a pic of an old install, where the wires were protected when they dropped down to the furnace disco.

I realise this is K&T, but here the same would apply to romex. In place of the "loom", a fitting would be used as a bushing on the end of the pipe.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

T
to electricman scott:

inspectors here are funny about some things. they want you to do things there way. for instance doorbell transformers they want them up in the attic space. the way this guy has romex bundled together would also get red flagged something about heat building up.
also the staples he used would not pass something about the wire vibrateing and eventually shorting out to the metal staple they want the white plastic romex staples. i can somewhat see there point on some things but some things seem a bit to much.

tom

E
e57 Offline
On most door-bell transformers I have seen latey have a paper in there about not putting them in attics.

HCE727, Nice work! And as mentioned, regionaly we have different practices, for that matter even from town to town... In many places around where I am, you whould have to either pipe down to the panel, or cover in rock or ply for everything coming below 8' for romex. It would be seen as subject to damage.... Often I just put a gutter up, with ground bar above, and take it down in a 2" nipple or two. Keeps a bit more room in the panel without all of the grounds the whole way, just an #8-6 jumper in each conduit. Or stick 2 2X's above with a piece of plywood.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
If the conductors next to the panel are exposed to physical damage, what about the panel? Are you saying it would be okay to mount a panel where it would be subject to phyical damage?

Pierre Belarge
A
Withtout being able to see into the panel I would approve the installation.
The one staple to the left does seem to be streched and could be replaced by a few with only two wires per staple.
Door bell xformer at panel O.K. I've seen some people try putting them inside the panel. [Linked Image]
When mounting the panel on a basement cement wall without a backboard, an airspace to prevent corrosion would be recommended. In the old days, as a helper, my job was to paint the plywood used for backboards flat grey. Haven't seen any painted boards in years.
NM at the bottom of the panel might need support or protection. Can't tell.
Don't understand anyone considering the NMs above the panel as being bundled.
Wire staples or plastic saddles the Code just requires them to hold the wires in place.
Good job.
Alan-- (Inspector)

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
S
Well I see what you forgot ... your name/company logo on the cover. Looks good enough to advertise.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard