ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 05:00 AM
This is a 200A panel and a sewage ejector panel that I did in a new home, someone will find something wrong about them.

- HCE727
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 05:45 AM
is that first photo related to the tank alarm for sewage pump ?? but one thing it bother me a bit where is the switch to control it or hardwired to breaker box ??

on third photo above the 200 amp box i am not sure if my eyes are teaseing me or not but i did see wrong kind of wire staple on romax look like 3 or 4 is with one staple is too much

the other question i dont know if this is correct answer or not but where is ground wire is is that hidden in pvc or emt ?? hard to see it

Merci , marc
Posted By: iwire Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 10:02 AM
I think it looks great. [Linked Image]

In some areas that would not pass as some areas prohibit running NM / SE exposed below about 8'.

What you have there is a typical installation (although neater) in this area and I have yet to see the NM damaged when used like this.

Bob
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 01:52 PM
I think it looks great too.

The only thing I'd have done differently is use RNC for those 2 circuits going left and right near the bottom of the panel along the concrete wall. To me, that IS subject to physical damage.

I'd also have preferred using RNC/ EMT instead of the running board used at the sewage ejector panel.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 02:41 PM
I agree....only some little quibbles.

Here romex, when run exposed, has to be protected (in pipe) until 7'6" above the floor.

Good eye, Marc....apart from that staple holding way too many cables (look at the way the legs are spread), some of the cables appear to be stapled 'on edge,' a code violation.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 04:19 PM
Sewage pump is hard wired, the grounds are to the left of the se, I was never shot down for cables below 8', circuit on right is emt, circuit in left was done by the well water co., only 2 wires per staple.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 09:44 PM
HCE : if you dont mind this again but please look at the 12-2's romex on left side there is 4 of them and one 14-2 romex with ONE staple [ unforetally i cant able to get one photo enlarged and high lighted where to look for it]

so please look at the cable again and tell me how many romex's in one staple

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by frenchelectrican (edited 03-14-2006).]
Posted By: TNTELECTRIC Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/14/06 10:24 PM
NEAT LOOKING WORK. IS THAT A DOORBELL TRANSFORMER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PANEL I WOULD GET NAILED IF I DID THAT. BUT OTHER THAN THAT EVERYTING LOOKS FINE TO ME.

TOM
Posted By: Trick440 Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 12:11 AM
I see alot of panels on this forum mounted to wood thats mounted to the cement wall.

Whats with the wood? How come the panel itself mounted to the wall. Seems like extra work.

I also agree the 12-2 on the left going to the GFCI should be protected.. same with the one below the panel. Other than that looks great.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 12:58 AM
Frenchie, on the left side there is a 10/3, 14/3, 2-12/3's with a bigger staple.
Posted By: harold endean Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 01:41 AM
It looks like a very neat job. I do have a small question though, is there a lockable disconnect for the pump?
Posted By: HCE727 Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 02:47 AM
The pump is a self contained unit with 3 breakers in it, and it has a lock on the side. Frenchie those 2 12/3's are stapled side by side. The plywood is a standard practice.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 02:59 AM
ok thanks i can see it clear but it was hard to see it in first place sorry about that.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 04:36 PM
Nice job! Why are the staples driven at an angle?

Trik440, panels mounted to a concrete wall usually end up as rust boxes. At least ones that I have seen over the years. The wood also gives you a place to drive your staples.

TNT Tom, why would you not be allowed to mount a doorbell transformer that way?
Posted By: Admin Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/15/06 10:27 PM
Since this thread has brought up protecting romex, here's a pic of an old install, where the wires were protected when they dropped down to the furnace disco.

I realise this is K&T, but here the same would apply to romex. In place of the "loom", a fitting would be used as a bushing on the end of the pipe.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TNTELECTRIC Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 03/16/06 12:36 AM
to electricman scott:

inspectors here are funny about some things. they want you to do things there way. for instance doorbell transformers they want them up in the attic space. the way this guy has romex bundled together would also get red flagged something about heat building up.
also the staples he used would not pass something about the wire vibrateing and eventually shorting out to the metal staple they want the white plastic romex staples. i can somewhat see there point on some things but some things seem a bit to much.

tom
Posted By: e57 Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 07/17/06 02:13 AM
On most door-bell transformers I have seen latey have a paper in there about not putting them in attics.

HCE727, Nice work! And as mentioned, regionaly we have different practices, for that matter even from town to town... In many places around where I am, you whould have to either pipe down to the panel, or cover in rock or ply for everything coming below 8' for romex. It would be seen as subject to damage.... Often I just put a gutter up, with ground bar above, and take it down in a 2" nipple or two. Keeps a bit more room in the panel without all of the grounds the whole way, just an #8-6 jumper in each conduit. Or stick 2 2X's above with a piece of plywood.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 07/17/06 03:10 AM
If the conductors next to the panel are exposed to physical damage, what about the panel? Are you saying it would be okay to mount a panel where it would be subject to phyical damage?
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 07/18/06 04:37 PM
Withtout being able to see into the panel I would approve the installation.
The one staple to the left does seem to be streched and could be replaced by a few with only two wires per staple.
Door bell xformer at panel O.K. I've seen some people try putting them inside the panel. [Linked Image]
When mounting the panel on a basement cement wall without a backboard, an airspace to prevent corrosion would be recommended. In the old days, as a helper, my job was to paint the plywood used for backboards flat grey. Haven't seen any painted boards in years.
NM at the bottom of the panel might need support or protection. Can't tell.
Don't understand anyone considering the NMs above the panel as being bundled.
Wire staples or plastic saddles the Code just requires them to hold the wires in place.
Good job.
Alan-- (Inspector)
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: 200A Panel and Sewage Ejector - 07/30/06 08:18 PM
Well I see what you forgot ... your name/company logo on the cover. Looks good enough to advertise.
© ECN Electrical Forums