ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
This kitchen island is unique in that is has a very large area, intended for rolling out dough. The area measures 4 ft, 6 in wide, and 5 ft deep.

With the code having a "2 ft" rule, I see no way to comply- without destroying the utility of the area! Nor am I comfortable with that receptacle on the cabinet face.

Besides pointing at code sections, and saying "violation!", I have to wonder about a few things.
First, I am amazed at the number of islands I encounter that seem designed to make it impossible to mount receptacles.
Secondly, I wonder if the code has crossed the line into "design" issues. Does the part of the code, dealing with kitchen islands and peninsulas, seem to you to need some work?

Renosteinke

[Linked Image]

V
I agree that it is hard to make the install look good with the rules as written now for islands. One thing I saw that was pretty slick was they had installed a plugmold strip and had it foux (sp) painted to match the cabnets it looked like a piece of trim molding under the lip of the counter top. Rod

M
I guess I don't see what you guys see.

This island only requires two receptacles, One for each Island area broken by the sink.

210.52(C)(2)
Island Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short imension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. Where a rangetop or sink is installed in an island counter and the width of the counter behind the rangetop or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the rangetop or sink is considered to divide the island into two separate countertop spaces as defined in 10.52(C)(4).

[This message has been edited by mweaver (edited 03-04-2006).]

J
Unless I am missing something this is a peninsula, not an island. Islands are free standing.

John, I see your issue but feel the the one receptacle on the cabinet face satifies the requirement. I do think that I would have tried to add another receptacle along the backspace to the right side.

D
Hey guys, looking at this, which is quite ugly, brings up a question and a thought....

Q. Do they make a recep that looks like a recessed recep "clock recep" that could go in the backslash there?

Thought. If they made such a device or box that would house a recep, could it have a slider door, that closed when not in use. This way the slider door could be painted to match the surface.

The white receps just look like hell there sticking out like that...

Dnk...

The cleanest way I could think to do this would be with a plugmold strip.. mounted face down under the lip of the granite, with a granite bullnose just as deep as the plugmold.. There was a counter top guy I worked this with and he had some beefy (and pricey!) epoxy that we used to mount the plugmold to the granite. Backfed the plugmold from a GFCI outlet where the wall began. The disposal had some fancy pneumatic push button on the sink itself, so there wasn't anything really visible. [Linked Image]

The area may be intended for rolling out dough, but the original owners might sell the place to someone that isn't a "roller".

For that reason, I'd say it's not just a design issue

From an "outsiders" view.
Why isn't there another duplex near the end of the counter?. (Towards us)
The more recepts people have, the least likely they are to use double adapters and other stupid stuff like that. [Linked Image]

E
I can't tell if that left side is connected to anything or not. I am guesseing not since the op syas "island". If it is an island it needs one receptacle to the left and one to the right of the sink. The one in the end cabinet would not be required.

This is where good electricians are seperated from really good electricians. I would get receptacles to match the colors as close as possible. White would not be it.

Do you think any of these colors would match? [Linked Image] Lutron Color Palette

Lutron does GFCI's, Switches and Deco outlets in some pretty nifty colors.. But they're a bit on the pricey $ide!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard