ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#122135 09/27/05 11:12 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted by Tony Moscioni)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
When you sit in on a safety meeting all you hear is how important safety is to the front office. The truth of the matter is that companies want to locate in countries where they can get work done like that.

E
maybee i am just dumb, but i fail to see why you have such a problem with this, is it the the scafolding they are using, or him not being tied off?

E
e57 Offline
On the back of the fork-lift there is a stick figure with a red circle and slash depicting exactly that of what they aren't supposed to do. And the sign they are putting up is brilliant! Judging from the look on the drivers face, he knows it too.

electronspark, there are approved cages for this purpose of being used on fork-lifts, with rails, and 4" toe-kicks. Some even consider the use of the cage an OSHA violation too. But the pallet is a big no-no. A fall harness might even be more dangerous with this method?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
At least they have hard hats on...just in case an airplane falls out of the sky or something.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Cat Servant
When you have the right equipment, it is amazing just how often you find a use for it!

A customer of mine does, among other things, metal fabrication as part of his business. After a few trips up his forklift, using the famous pallet platform, I insisted that he get a proper basket cage.
He wanted to know what a "proper one" looked like- so I went to his computer, and printed a pic of a commercial one. Seeing the pic, he exclaimed- "why, we can make one of those!" And he did; 30 minutes later, I had a basket!

On a later visit to the plant, the customer took me aside. He thanked me for the idea- and expressed amazement as to just how useful it had prooven to be.

B
Scafold? [Linked Image] It looks like a pallet w/no railings to me!!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by BElder (edited 09-28-2005).]

I
Reno don't get caugt by OSHA on that homemade basket unless they got an engineers blessing on it.

They really would be better off buying one.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
Iwire, I appreciate your concern....but I see no requirement in the OSHA rules that you go out and buy anything.....give this 'homebuilt' a coat of paint, and you'ld be hard pressed to tell it from one in a catalog.

One point that the customer was not aware of was the need to secure the cage to the forklift...once this was demonstrated, he agreed that it was a wonderful thing to do.

I
Reno, this may be the section or I could keep digging and find another.

We would never use a home built even when it is obvious that it is well constructed.

1910.67(b)(1)

Unless otherwise provided in this section, aerial devices (aerial lifts) acquired on or after July 1, 1975, shall be designed and constructed in conformance with the applicable requirements of the American National Standard for "Vehicle Mounted Elevating and Rotating Work Platforms," ANSI A92.2 - 1969, including appendix, which is incorporated by reference as specified in 1910.6. Aerial lifts acquired for use before July 1, 1975 which do not meet the requirements of ANSI A92.2 - 1969, may not be used after July 1, 1976, unless they shall have been modified so as to conform with the applicable design and construction requirements of ANSI A92.2 - 1969. Aerial devices include the following types of vehicle-mounted aerial devices used to elevate personnel to jobsites above ground:

1910.67(b)(1)(i)

Extensible boom platforms,

..1910.67(b)(1)(ii)

1910.67(b)(1)(ii)

aerial ladders,

1910.67(b)(1)(iii)

articulating boom platforms,

1910.67(b)(1)(iv)

vertical towers, and

1910.67(b)(1)(v)

a combination of any of the above. Aerial equipment may be made of metal, wood, fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP), or other material; may be powered or manually operated; and are deemed to be aerial lifts whether or not they are capable of rotating about a substantially vertical axis.

1910.67(b)(2)

Aerial lifts may be "field modified" for uses other than those intended by the manufacturer, provided the modification has been certified in writing by the manufacturer or by any other equivalent entity, such as a nationally recognized testing laboratory, to be in conformity with all applicable provisions of ANSI A92.2 - 1969 and this section, and to be at least as safe as the equipment was before modification.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-29-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard