ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 03:12 AM
(submitted by Tony Moscioni)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hypress Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 03:29 AM
When you sit in on a safety meeting all you hear is how important safety is to the front office. The truth of the matter is that companies want to locate in countries where they can get work done like that.
Posted By: electronspark Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 05:28 AM
maybee i am just dumb, but i fail to see why you have such a problem with this, is it the the scafolding they are using, or him not being tied off?
Posted By: e57 Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 06:18 AM
On the back of the fork-lift there is a stick figure with a red circle and slash depicting exactly that of what they aren't supposed to do. And the sign they are putting up is brilliant! Judging from the look on the drivers face, he knows it too.

electronspark, there are approved cages for this purpose of being used on fork-lifts, with rails, and 4" toe-kicks. Some even consider the use of the cage an OSHA violation too. But the pallet is a big no-no. A fall harness might even be more dangerous with this method?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 01:12 PM
At least they have hard hats on...just in case an airplane falls out of the sky or something.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 01:44 PM
When you have the right equipment, it is amazing just how often you find a use for it!

A customer of mine does, among other things, metal fabrication as part of his business. After a few trips up his forklift, using the famous pallet platform, I insisted that he get a proper basket cage.
He wanted to know what a "proper one" looked like- so I went to his computer, and printed a pic of a commercial one. Seeing the pic, he exclaimed- "why, we can make one of those!" And he did; 30 minutes later, I had a basket!

On a later visit to the plant, the customer took me aside. He thanked me for the idea- and expressed amazement as to just how useful it had prooven to be.
Posted By: BElder Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 06:58 PM
Scafold? [Linked Image] It looks like a pallet w/no railings to me!!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by BElder (edited 09-28-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/28/05 08:01 PM
Reno don't get caugt by OSHA on that homemade basket unless they got an engineers blessing on it.

They really would be better off buying one.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/29/05 12:43 AM
Iwire, I appreciate your concern....but I see no requirement in the OSHA rules that you go out and buy anything.....give this 'homebuilt' a coat of paint, and you'ld be hard pressed to tell it from one in a catalog.

One point that the customer was not aware of was the need to secure the cage to the forklift...once this was demonstrated, he agreed that it was a wonderful thing to do.
Posted By: iwire Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/29/05 07:20 AM
Reno, this may be the section or I could keep digging and find another.

We would never use a home built even when it is obvious that it is well constructed.

1910.67(b)(1)

Unless otherwise provided in this section, aerial devices (aerial lifts) acquired on or after July 1, 1975, shall be designed and constructed in conformance with the applicable requirements of the American National Standard for "Vehicle Mounted Elevating and Rotating Work Platforms," ANSI A92.2 - 1969, including appendix, which is incorporated by reference as specified in 1910.6. Aerial lifts acquired for use before July 1, 1975 which do not meet the requirements of ANSI A92.2 - 1969, may not be used after July 1, 1976, unless they shall have been modified so as to conform with the applicable design and construction requirements of ANSI A92.2 - 1969. Aerial devices include the following types of vehicle-mounted aerial devices used to elevate personnel to jobsites above ground:

1910.67(b)(1)(i)

Extensible boom platforms,

..1910.67(b)(1)(ii)

1910.67(b)(1)(ii)

aerial ladders,

1910.67(b)(1)(iii)

articulating boom platforms,

1910.67(b)(1)(iv)

vertical towers, and

1910.67(b)(1)(v)

a combination of any of the above. Aerial equipment may be made of metal, wood, fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP), or other material; may be powered or manually operated; and are deemed to be aerial lifts whether or not they are capable of rotating about a substantially vertical axis.

1910.67(b)(2)

Aerial lifts may be "field modified" for uses other than those intended by the manufacturer, provided the modification has been certified in writing by the manufacturer or by any other equivalent entity, such as a nationally recognized testing laboratory, to be in conformity with all applicable provisions of ANSI A92.2 - 1969 and this section, and to be at least as safe as the equipment was before modification.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-29-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/29/05 06:00 PM
I love the pic of the guy holding the sign on with his foot and one hand while his buddy fixes it. Just remember too, without idiots this Forum would'nt exist!

Alan
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/30/05 12:08 AM
I just realised that this thread was started in the first week of "Fall."
Posted By: sandro2 Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 09/30/05 10:47 AM
Hey atleast there wearing hard hats [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tesla Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 10/07/05 05:24 AM
Yeah... but they got away with it...

This time....
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 10/13/05 12:15 AM
"Yeah... but they got away with it...

This time...."

Maybe, maybe not. These pictures appear to be suitable for blackmail.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 10/13/05 01:00 AM
No offense to anyone...but I doubt those workers putting UP the sign can read the language.

If they can read it...then they are taking the sign DOWN - and the company, obviously, could care less about their workers.
Posted By: dmattox Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 10/13/05 02:19 AM
I'm not trying to be a troll, but [Linked Image]

I know it violates a billion OSHA rules and I wouldn't do it on the job. But it doesn't really seem that dangerous to me. I would rather be on that than our large extension ladder.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 10/13/05 06:52 AM
I think that they were putting the sign up. The patch of wall that would be hidden by the right hand end of the sign not yet installed isn't less or more dirty than the rest of that wall.

As for safety, I would think that that setup would be likely to be bouncing around a lot as they move about that platform. That bouncing around could cause one of them to slip and fall or such accident.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 10/13/05 02:20 PM
For those who may see the apeal of this method, perhaps some of the main dangers ought to be outlined, so accidents may be avoided.

As Dmattox has observed, there is a need for an elevating work platform; for many reasons, ladders often just aren't enough.

First of all, those forks are very slippery. A large number of accidents involve either the person slipping from the forks, or the platform slipping. This is why commercial platforms have chains, or some other means, to attach the platform to the forks.
Since the forks are also tapered, a C-clamp is not a very good solution, and WILL come loose.

Wood pallets are often made of very poor lumber, and are prone to breaking. They simply are not reliable enough to use this way.

As the forks are raised and lowered, or as the forklift positions itself, you really want to hold on to something. Without there being a railing, you often end up holding on to the forklift itself- in a place that can hurt you. It is not unusual for the chains of the lift to shift on their sprockets, which can easily remove a few fingers.
Again, commercial cages address this by having a screen on the side toward the fork "tower."

A final feature, one that has prooven it's utility, is a "toe plate," or 4" barrier, around the perimeter of the cage. This, apart from giving your feet warning that they're near the edge, is also good at keeping parts from rolling off.

Painting the cage a contrasting color will help the operator position the cage
Posted By: Out Of Phase Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/18/05 11:03 AM
Comon` its not that high off the ground, I don't see a majour problem with this.
Posted By: iwire Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/18/05 11:17 AM
You have obviously never had any safety training or you are kidding.

If OHSA saw this happening there would be major fines.

Most times fall protection of some sort is needed at 6' and above.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/18/05 05:25 PM
Bob, you are so right. In about 1980 a young carpenter fell about 9 feet down an empty residential stairwell on a site in my village in Gloucestershire, England, which scaling from the doorway in pic. 1 is about the same height of fall. He was killed instantly, as he fell right on top of his head. I knew the constable who had to go to his house and tell his wife and kids.....

There is no excuse for the kind of risk taking shown in these pics- they could have hired and had delivered a couple of towers for a few bucks and done the job faster, with half the men and little risk of injury or fines.
"Up here for thinking, down there for dancing."

Alan
Posted By: Roger Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/18/05 11:45 PM
For those with a high speed connection, here is a warped (I like it [Linked Image]) fork lift safety video.

It's in German, but it is clear as to the points it makes even to those of us who do not speak it.

http://media.hugi.is/hahradi/fyndnar/STAPLERFAHRERKLAUSDERERSTEA.wmv

For those with a slower type connection, you should down load and save it.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 11-18-2005).]
Posted By: electure Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/19/05 12:41 AM
Oh, Roger that's absolutely sick [Linked Image]

I love it!!
Posted By: Roger Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/19/05 12:56 AM
Hello Scott, I see we have the same taste in movies. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: iwire Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/20/05 01:29 AM
Roger that is awesome. [Linked Image]

Makes me glad I just updated to DSL.

Bob
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/20/05 07:08 AM
Klaus was just having a bad day.... "Cut" the guy some slack... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Gotta love the upbeat music at the end of the video LMAO
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/26/06 02:12 AM
The best thing about this is that they are putting up a sign promoting safety!
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Another Forklift Shocker - 11/29/06 02:29 AM
That video was great! Thanks for the laugh!
© ECN Electrical Forums