ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#12174 08/06/02 04:54 AM
J
jbn1611 I'm down in Tullahoma a bit south of you. You might try W&O contruction in Cookeville they build municiple water and sewer plants, they might need some help. If you were around here you could call S&W electrical in Murfreesboro they always need help. They don't pull much romex, mostly all pipe. They're commercial and industrial all the way. They're really pretty nice from the guys I've met, some good lead men, and some real butts, You can call Flor-Daniel they do a bunch of work around here too. Bridgestone in McMinnville always needs some engineering techs, takes a good test score to get in but it's fair money. Crossville isn't that big a town, so you might have to travel to live there and stay busy.
I work in a 45 mile radius of Tullahoma about 5 counties to stay as busy as I want to be. But you make alot of contacts that way. Residential is really hot down here, and you can pull all the romex you want. You've got to be quick to make any money, and the heat is murder here now, but Ain't nobody going hungry. There is some commercial going up and a spec industrial building every now and then. They keep adding on the Nissan engine plant in Decherd TN 12 miles east. It's a lot of rigid pipe there,
Send me an email at GaryKidd@webtv.net and ill see if I can get some phone numbers for you.

[This message has been edited by joeh20 (edited 08-06-2002).]

Lighting the way
#12175 08/07/02 01:17 PM
H
Justin,
We're in Columbus, Ohio. I can't say right now "we're hiring" - because we are so new. But we are getting busier and busier and probably will need some hands before long.

The real reason I decided to respond though is to say just because you work for a jackass don't let it tarnish your view of the industry.

My two business partners have been training me in the field and I can't be happier with what I have learned and in the short amount of time. They are great teachers and they are very patient. You'd love to learn from them. Let me know if you ever consider Ohio. We'll chat [Linked Image]

#12176 08/07/02 04:33 PM
G
Happi_Man,
From your post it sounds like you are a less-than-Journeyman-electrician in business with two experienced electricians. (I used the words "less-than-Journeyman-electrician" because it sounded to me to be the least derogatory way.) Without putting my nose where it doesn't belong, how does something like this happen and does it seem to be working well? If you do not reply to this, I will not be offended.

Gerald Powell

#12177 08/07/02 11:21 PM
H
gpowellpec -

well here's the deal. My big brother is one of the electricians. He and our other partner have known each other since high school and have worked together in the electrical field for about 13 years. About 4 years ago they started wiring houses for a builder who was unhappy with his electrical contractor (which was the company that they worked for).

So for a long time they were just a couple of guys making some extra cash. Needless to say the builder was making more than extra cash from them because he was getting bare minimum prices (and he still does but now its more of a "thanks for all the bread and butter" kinda deal).

So yes you are right, I am a less-than-journeyman-electrician and at the same time they were less-than-college-educated-businessmen (and I only put it that way because its the least derogatory way to put it - not to imply that electricians aren't educated - these ones weren't). So that's where I came in - I was the "well read" little brother that wents to collidge and was able to track down, read and interpret all the legal mumbo jumbo of starting a business, getting licensed, liability insurance, acquiring bonds, pulling permits, keeping books, tracking expenses, putting together bids, making sales calls, ordering supplies, faxing this, faxing that, calling him, calling her, writing checks, depositing checks, finding a truck, buying a truck, licensing a truck AND working in the field as an advanced greenbean. Advanced as in I do way more than load and unload the truck and carry around tools - i.e. I usually box while the other guys are drilling & stringing and I tie in just about everything as they complete circuit by circuit (I still need help with particular switches every now and then). This weekend I tied in my first service - under very close supervision mind you - man 4/0 SEU is a bitch to work with. Anyway, all that is so that I can actually go to a builder and know what I am talking about.

So far it is working well. Its a lot of work on top of my other job which I just recently made part-time. I went in to this expecting not to work less than 8 days a week and not to make much money for awhile. The biggest problem is getting enough business in to support our finances but not too much to get our one full-time partner too bogged down (my brother is still working his full-time job).

Anyway - probably more of an answer than you were looking for but that's my story...

[This message has been edited by Happi_Man (edited 08-07-2002).]

#12178 08/08/02 05:45 PM
G
Happi_Man,
Thanks for the answer. Sounds like a team to me. I figured you had non-electrical talents to offer to the mix.

Back a few years ago I tried to talk my big brother into working with me in an electrical business. He retired as a Chief Master Sergeant after 30 years in the Air Force. He had loads of supervisory and management experience. He said he didn't want anything to do with responsibililty and went to work for a water company. He just recently became the plant manager for a new treatment plant. Guess they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I enjoy electrical work and dealing with customers, but the business of business is not my cup of tea.

Gerald Powell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard