ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#119668 01/14/05 01:03 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here is a series of photos of a Start/Stop station for a 460VAC conveyor motor.

First one is a "before" shot. The 460 to 120V transformer secondary X2 is bonded to the frame of the transformer, but, apparently beacuse of the paint on the panel surface, there was approx 400 ohms resistance between this point, and the point at which the incoming ground and the motor ground were attached in the lower left corner.
[Linked Image]
Second pic is a close-up of the overload where the motor taps are connected. Tried to get the flash of the camera to illuminate them, but, there are indeed wires for the motor there. The starter is actually mounted on a din-rail, but the connections are about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the enclosure. No way of getting the wires out or in without removing the starter. And, this enclosure frequently gets wet inside.
[Linked Image]
Third pic is an "after" shot, after re-wiring. By using pushbuttons that took up less room in the enclosure, we were able to move the starter up and to the left. (The original PB's were so large that the original installer mounted the starter on the right, below the x-former/fuseblock so that the door would close, apparently did a "Woops" or "Oh well", being so close to the bottom of the enclosure.) "It's non-metallic, right?"

A co-worker and I originally started out intent on connecting all the ground wires at one single point, but, were so disgusted by the whole wiring job, that we ended up re-wiring the whole box.

I changed the buttons out and moved the rail and starter, co-worker Jeff R. did the re-wire.

Notice the char marks from some previous time!!! POW!!!

Barry P. (bp-redbear)
[Linked Image]

E
Pic 3 sure looks better than the first two!
Nice. [Linked Image]

John
The Control wiring looks like cab tire/SO cord. We could only use SO cord if the start/stop station was a hand held device as used for overhead crane work etc. But thats canada for you I guess [Linked Image]

B
The conveyor that is controlled by this box is a portable unit that is moved daily (for clean-up/sanitation), and is cord and plug connected to a receptacle. (The box being mounted to the side of the conveyor.)

Link Copied to Clipboard