ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#119647 01/22/05 11:16 AM
N
BMW does stand for "Break My Windows". ::smile

#119648 01/22/05 12:05 PM
S
bentruler,

Interesting photo of a wet-barrel hydrant- I noticed under your profile that you reside in Bothell, Washington, where my brother lives- I think it's too cold anywhere in Washington State for wet-barrel hydrants (I live in Lynden).

So I guess my question is, where was that cool blue fireplug photo snapped?

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
#119649 01/22/05 12:11 PM
M
A question for Bentruler or one of the other firefighters on here.

Why would a fire department take the time to break the car windows to lay the line to the pumper instead of laying it over the trunk or hood?

I would think that the movement in the hose as it fills up would scratch the paint and be punishment enought for the idiot for parking there.

I saw the windows being broken and the hose run through being done in the movie Backdraft and thought it was just for dramatic effect.

#119650 01/22/05 04:24 PM
mbhydro,
Why would a fire department take the time to break the car windows to lay the line to the pumper instead of laying it over the trunk or hood?
That's a really good point there mate!. [Linked Image]
Personally, I'd be asking the question as to why it wasn't just run under the vehicle?. [Linked Image]
I'm not looking to pour any doubt on the authenticity of the photo, but I reckon that the rear window was broken from the inside of the vehicle, judging by the glass on the road.
If that's the case, when the window on the pavement side was broken, why didn't they just open the doors?. [Linked Image]
I like the look of that 2-tone blue Hydrant,
this could start a trend of custom decorated Fire-fighting equipment. [Linked Image]

#119651 01/22/05 04:51 PM
J
Trumpy (and others):
The movie "backdraft" was little more than a collection of every Chicago firehouse tale and fantasy. When Chicago FD encounters a car parked in front of a hydrant, and they need to use it, the firemen fight over the right to be the one to smash the glass!
Chicago, btw, has its' own unique hydrant thread; all the area towns use ANSI pattern.

Car side windows are made of a glass that is actually under tension; when it breaks, it 'pops' as if exploded, in every direction. It doesn't matter what angle you strike it from.

Another few examples of Chicago parking rules enforcement:
- park in the wrong place at the train depot, and you will return to find your car freshly painted in transit company colors; and,
- In the winter, park in a space someone else has cleared, and they will wash your car.....several times...until there is an inch or more of ice on it!

#119652 01/24/05 02:51 AM
B
The photo was somewhwere in CA. I took it of some website. (It's actually from the URL in the pict, I just linked it.) Everything here is drybarrel.

Having sholved a few of them out of snow plow banks, the idea of having a hydrant in a vault in the street has some merit.

As for the why through the car? Well, the 5" has a mind of its own when charged. You try to reduce the bends as much as you can. Standing next to a coupling is great way to break your foot, I've seen them hop.

Of course, at this point everyone just wants to be like Backdraft. I haven't been on the job for about 5 years, but that was back in the midwest and I learned from someone with 20+ years on CFD. Some of the stories he would tell...

Oh, and CPD will tow your car no matter what. Saw them tow a radio station's remote van. Live. On the Air. With the boom up. It did say "No Parking."

#119653 01/24/05 09:07 PM
C
In my town, the plugs are tartan, to reflect the strong Scottish heritage.

[This message has been edited by classicsat (edited 01-24-2005).]

#119654 04/21/05 12:03 AM
H
I've seen worse than that before, one day coming home from work (really rainy day), i observed a huge gusher of water coming from OUT of a local utility pole! Wish I could have taken a picture.

Cliff
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard