ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
You did the right thing.....recently I had a similiar situation with one of my clients; he took over a half completed new constuction, he claimed that the previos electrician had a series of code violations and that he documented each and every one. I advised him that before he does a stitch of work on the site that he have an independent inspector come in and write up the job (I advised him not to tell the inspector of his motivation for calling him in)I further advised him to serve a copy of the report on the GC before begining work. My concerns were that if the house burned down the two electricians would be pointing fingers at one another, so the independant inspectors report bails out the second electrician. Further, serving the GC with the violations, puts him on notice and pre-empts possible future litigation. Lastly, few inspectors are going to want to put there name to a document that points a finger on a potential future law suit, its one thing if they point out a violation to the electrian himself, but to say "hey if this house burns down or if anyone is injured...don't look at the second electrician, it was the first electrician's fault"

As far as a defamation/slander claim.....truth is an absolute defense to either. To say he did sloppy work is an opinion, if you stated the facts and the truth and only pointed out violations, your safe.

I say stand your ground.

RMIESQ, thanks for the thumbs up...

It means alot to me right now to have the approval of my friends here.

Thanks.

-Virgil

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
Rob ( as well as your document) brings up a third party inspector.
If this were so, would he/she overrule the AHJ ? Or would it simply serve as 'mediation'?
The violations ( like lack of GFI's in the kit) are NOT a grey area to novices here.....

E
So did you actually start the work or is this a report on what you believe needs to be done. Is it possible to walk away at this point. That is what I would do. You have done the right thing without question, you can only make people do what they want to do I guess. File the report with the appropriate authority(s) and leave it it that. You can then move on knowing you did your best to right a wrong. These are CLEAR violations to anyone with any knowledge of the NEC. This would not fly here in Mass. This guy would be before the Board of Electricians for sure.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-12-2002).]

R
I am not sure what AHJ is ? But I dont think that will change my answer. An independant inspector is thrown in the the mix for two reasons.

First, he will document the condition before the second electrician starts work. So god forbid a fire occurs and the ignition source is found to be in a second floor bedroom, If the inspector noted that there was a violation there; it removes liability from the second electrician.

Second if a law suit arises and both electricians are named, each will be pointing fingers at the other. In a situation like that most time the insuance carriers will split the loss, with the inspector he will tip the liability in favor of the first electrician, even if the ignition source was not documented as a violation, all the other violations will create a presumption that the fire was the cause of the first electricians sloppy work.

S
Rob,
AHJ= 'Authority Having Juristiction' [Linked Image]

this , in effect, could be anyone, however the new art 80 in the 02' code attempts to set some workable peramiters for those who choose to adopt it.....here is some opening 'commentary'.....

ARTICLE 80 Administration and Enforcement
This article is informative unless specifically adopted by the local jurisdiction adopting the National Electrical Code®. (See 80.5.)

commentary...
Article 80 is new for the 2002 edition. The purpose of this administrative article is to assist jurisdictions that do not have formalized electrical inspection procedures but want to amend their inspection laws. It is intended to serve as a guide to the adoption of the National Electrical Code® (NEC®). Because Article 80 is offered as a guide to the adoption process, its application is not mandatory unless specifically adopted by local law, as stated in the note after the title. See 80.5 for adoption information.
Article 80 has an interesting history. Originally, it was a model law that provided for inspection of electrical installations. It was prepared by the Electrical Field Service Advisory Committee of NFPA as a guide for those jurisdictions that either did not have formalized electrical inspection procedures or desired to amend their electrical inspection laws and to serve as a guide for adoption of the NEC. The model law was intended for use by states as well as municipalities. The first edition was adopted by NFPA on May 15, 1973. A second edition was approved on March 27, 1987.
Article 80 continues to cover such issues as creation of an electrical board, plan review, and inspection. The professional qualifications of the electrical inspector and the investigation of fires attributed to electrical installations have been added.
Adoption of the National Electrical Code can occur in two ways. It can be incorporated in a law, or a law can be enacted authorizing a governmental agency or board to adopt it. To facilitate the drafting of such laws, as well as establishment of the accompanying inspection and enforcement procedures, NFPA offers Article 80, Administration and Enforcement. Article 80 may require modification in order to comply with the structure-writing rules of the adopting political jurisdiction.
Circumstances in a particular jurisdiction determine which alternative is most appropriate. Provisions that are less comprehensive may be adequate for smaller political subdivisions.

In this case, the AHJ is either myself, the leasor, the leasee, or the General Contractor (Contruction Managers). The only "real" inspectors merely inspect the service for the Power Company. Their jurisdiction stops at the distribution load center.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
Sparky66 --

I would suggest that you simply remove the violations. Simply writing them up and not repairing them might increase your liability.

----

As far as libel/slander.

If you say the electrictian is incompetent, then you have libeled/slandered him and you have no defense.

If you say his work is not to code, then truth is a defense.

The difference is that he can be competent and CHOOSE to do poor work and you cannot prove otherwise.

Best to not comment about people only about specfic instances of their work.

George, there is no such thing as "simply" removing the violations unless you mean taking a bulldozer to the place and starting over... I doubt they'll go for that.

The cables are too short... All of them... The boxes are too small... All of them.

Two stories, finished basement, and "final punch out" has been going on for about a month or two now, and the owner wants it finished "yesterday"...

My hands have been washed clean of the mess, until something bad happens, I guess.

Your advice is taken into consideration, however.

If you haven't already, please take a look at the report and tell me if I have crossed the line.

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-14-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
M
Virgil: My two cents worth..

Your report appears to me to be done in a professional manner. It is succinct, it mentions violations thus far discovered (as well as those possibly yet undiscovered), it cites applicable deviations from the NEC, it indicates terms under which Kelly Electric/Musser Electric will correct said violations, and it does all this without bringing personalities into the picture.

My best wishes to you and others. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard