ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#113620 08/23/02 10:14 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Dad was a Master Electrician at Kennedy Space Center until his retirement.....Elmer (RIP) would love this Forum and you guys sharing this stuff.........and worldwide even!.........He worked DEGAUZING ships on the open seas in WWII.........Westinghouse(Plant electrician) in Buffalo NY........and on to the Space Coast..........

Somebody mentioned Salt corrosion............How about Rocket Fuel? When one of the missles was destroyed....the vapor cloud settled on the "shop"......cars/trailers/and TOOLS were all etched with this highly corrosive material......the Hand-me-down Tools all bear the witness of exposure and the 'paint-job' finish that resulted.........

Let me share this goodie .......pretty common?......from Cocoa, Fl...........The foreclosing was set for days away ........The power was cut off a month ago.......but the 'genius' trailer-owner uses some extension cords to hook-up the breaker panel to a neighboring (still energized) power pole...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice the wires run outside the box.........connections?taped w/duct tape...and the extension cord runs thru the open aluminum exterior door..........Oh, and the guy said an electrician friend did it so it must be safe!!!!!!

Thanks for the great show......doug

#113621 08/24/02 04:02 AM
I thought that the door below that
meter, had to be kept shut and sealed
with a power company seal?.
Also, what sort of "electrician",
would even do a job like this, for their
worst enemy, let alone a friend?!.
Pretty sure, I would not like to be
caught doing work of this (poor) standard.

#113622 08/24/02 06:27 AM
P
I think the lower box is the main disconnect after the meter and thus wouldn't be sealed. I notice that the "electrician" who rigged up this lethal wiring didn't consider it necessary to provide any sort of OCPD for the cord.

And what about grounding? This being a mobile home the main panel inside the trailer would be wired for a 4-wire rather than 3-wire service, right? Or did this genius bridge neutral to ground somewhere to "fix" that problem? If so, I wouldn't want to be stepping in or out of the trailer if that white wire became detached.

[Linked Image]

#113623 08/24/02 12:10 PM
D
More Info..........The DISCONNECTED service is on the other side of the wall next to the door so the grnd conductor is still intact...........As for the neutral?....I didn't investigate any further........The extension cord ran for over 50' to the neighboring meter on an empty lot.........And there where neighborhood kids and dogs running around everywhere! Notice "he" did think to provide a strain relief on the end of the cord......He jammed it behind the conduit!

[This message has been edited by doug (edited 08-25-2002).]

#113624 08/24/02 04:39 PM
Doug,

Is that the panel cover that's visible in the top right if you follow the cord up?

Bill

Bill
#113625 08/24/02 05:13 PM
B
In the top photo, I’ll bet saltspray took out the top two inches of ground-electrode-conductor raceway, breaker, deadfront, wet-in-use receptacle, and the 6AWG TW conductors corroded down to 12AWG.

Yuo sea, I just gradiated from the fornestic invenstigatscion porgam at Dr Bukk Nstitunt. Darweeta Slimp-LeJeunne was valeriedictortianne, fetured at http://www.drbukk.com/images4/iprophy.jpg

Fortunately the specially engineered high-resistance vinyl cord prevented ice damage to all in yesterday’s freak 200-year Cocoa ice storm.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-24-2002).]

#113626 08/25/02 10:54 AM
D
I was there to document......Photograph..... the properties condition.......not expecting this........

IN THE TOP PHOTO
On the neighbor's property......empty for about 12 years?.....This old pole with this still energized service.........This served as the service entry many years ago......Fitted with circuit breakers (the punched out 'deadfront' was on the ground).........of course the cover is raised in the photo, with dangerous potential..........The #12 wires are run thru the open box (there is an open, unused, single 1" knock out in the bottom of the box)...........I checked the original photo and the White is connected to neutral......Just 120!.........The cord's grnd is cut/broken off..........

BOTTOM PHOTO ...OPEN DOOR
The subject house.....power disconnected(meter lock) a month ago($$)........The 50' orange #14 extension cord runs thru the open aluminum entry door......under the main panel cover.........I didn't photograph what/how he powered from there but the cord was intact ....... as I remember he disconnected wires at breakers and connected them w/#12 and "pressure" inserted into female extension cord end....several lighting circuits and of course the TV....and white #12 jumper to neutral........You can just see the service entering via 'conduit'/LB to exterior meter head.......

#113627 08/25/02 11:31 AM
C
[Linked Image] boy this guy sure is brave!was thatpanel a FPE? did they ever catch this guy for this? someone may get seiously hurt here. the power company should be notified. [Linked Image]

#113628 08/25/02 10:54 PM
D
When I found this mess I had just 'inherited' the property..........I disconnected the extension cord/wires and handed them all over to Florida Power & Light Office....w/photos and dates etc......their response "We're just glad he's gone........." Not even a thanks! No action taken.......Yes, that is a Federal Pacific box...........

#113629 08/26/02 12:59 PM
B
Proof positive everyone knows it may have been a suspect molded-case breaker.

{sorry...you had to see that coming.}

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard