ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
This pic was taken after I had merely removed the 6-32 screws and pulled the receptacle from the box. The "white" wires dislodged themselves, I did not remove them (and yes, they aren't very white anymore). To describe the picture in an effort to make up for the lack of resolution, the conductors were back-plugged #14 which had turned green due to corrosion and black due to heat on the bare copper, and with very charred insulation. This was the first receptacle in line that eventually fed a 15A Air Conditioner, with a very charred plug. The A/C was dropping the voltage down to 98V at the Receptacle that it used after the repair on the first one, so I will be replacing all receptacles in this mobile home. The switches aren't back-plugged, and seem to be in decent shape.

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 09-25-2001).]

S
farily nasty,
however #14 is still ok per UL, the 'owner' of said MH should be glad this is not one of those self-contained devices, and let's not forget AFCI's are exempt for MH's ......
[Linked Image]

Here's the clincher:

After I had pulled the receptacle, I had asked the owner's permission to take the picture, and had explained the problem (which didn't take much convincing... the service call was "my outlet sparks when I push on the wall"). I also showed her the new receptacle with holes in the back, and I told her that ironically, it is still an accepted practice. Her response?

"Why?"

Why, indeed... (I was left speechless at that point)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
I once lived in a MH that had aluminum wiring. As the terminations went bad, the owner had replaced the recps....with stabbers. (He was even able to stab #10s!)
I was horrified to see evidence of smoke above each and every one of the recps that he had replaced. His comment was that they "Wouldn't sell them if they were no good." (never read the small print CU only)

He also drove a Ford Pinto.

S
LOL
with Firestone tires?
[Linked Image]
It'd be a different trade if this org. would poll us, or otherwise solict our input..... http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm

P
I understand from my reading that aluminum wiring was quite popular in homes for a while over there. Late 1960s/early 1970s ?

It never really caught on over here, not in smaller cables for residential anyway. Probably a good thing from what I've heard.

Originally posted by electure:
He also drove a Ford Pinto.

Isn't that the model that had the badly positioned gas tank that got hit in rear-end shunts?

Paul,

Yes, the Pinto was the car with the gas tank that would explode upon rear impact. I actually saw this happen up close. Bad scene. Instant fireball, no chance for anyone to get out.

Bill

Bill
Broom Pusher and
Virgil,
You find some great photo opts!!! Keep up the good work!!!

You know, Bulls-Eye Barbecue sauce goes well with the Receptacle and Conductors shown in your photo!!! [joke]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Virgil,
Do you suppose the AC at the end of line was the cause of these failures??

G
where are the posters who defended this practice in the thread we had a few months ago?

I hope this makes them reconsider.

GJ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard