ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#112714 08/24/01 01:19 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
a customer called me when the electrician (I use this term cautiously) he hired said they were too busy to get a permit.

[Linked Image]
pic. #1 they used a 11/4" offset to sleeve into the 2" offset, then used plumbers putty to seal out the weather.

[Linked Image]

Pic.#2 there is no nipple from the meter to the panel.

[Linked Image]

Pic#3
our power company requires a 2" rigid conduit when penetrating roofs, and no roof flashing present.

[Linked Image]

Pic#4 no connectors in panel

[Linked Image]

Pic#5 the main feeds have no connectors and run in the wall without any conduit.

[Linked Image]

Pic#6 panel is floating and not secured.

[Linked Image]

Pic # 7 the final one stranded wire used going up the wall, and a 40 amp breaker with # 12 wire on it for the water heater.

These pictures were taken in a suburb just outside of Dallas. I could not believe the poor and unconcerning workmanship that was done. And there are people living at this home.

James Baker

#112715 08/24/01 06:19 AM
S
Do you mean that the work required a permit, and the installer went on and created this mess assuming that a lisenced tradesman would put their name to it???

#112716 08/24/01 08:18 AM
No state license required in Texas. Maybe Dallas has licensing, though.

#112717 08/24/01 09:14 PM
Tom Offline
Folks, licensing doesn't mean squat. Unless there is some rigorous means in place to confiscate those licenses, poor workmanship like this can go on forever with no repurcussions until someone gets hurt or the structure burns down.

Sometimes I think there should be a page in each newspaper devoted to photo's like this, with full credit going to the person that installed it.

BTW, it looks like black drywall screws holding the meter socket in place. This wouldn't cut the mustard with our power company and a good case could be made for a code violation since there is absolutely no corrosion protection for the screws. (110-3(b)(2) durability)

Picture 5- it appears that the conductors don't even enter through the same hole in the cabinet, I'm sure the installer took time to cut slots in between all the entry holes. [Linked Image]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112718 08/24/01 09:27 PM
R
Hey, at least they put a locknut on the upper nipple.(?)
I know this is a terrible problem, but I like to see it occasionally. It makes me feel much more confident in my abilities. The down side is, it's hard to compete with these guys, pricewise.

#112719 08/25/01 06:48 AM
S
Folks, licensing doesn't mean squat. Unless there is some rigorous means in place to confiscate those licenses

It's sad but true! [Linked Image]
the only comment i could add is to have a conversation with an insurance man, as the 'unlicensed' cannot usually get any liability insurance for such installs.

#112720 08/25/01 08:09 AM
Licensing doesn't mean squat, but the lack of it sure does! Anonymous "electricians" flying by night. And yes, anyplace that wouldn't jerk a license for something like this is only collecting fees.
An old boss of mine (recently deceased) was forced to work as an electrician's helper when he was a child in Germany in WWII (or unload boxcars at a concentration camp). He said the penalty for improper grounding was 7 yrs. in prison. Although very extreme, it sure made him a conscientous electrician for life. Plenty of "electricians" got fired their first day with his company.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-25-2001).]

#112721 08/27/01 04:05 PM
B
Originally posted by sparky:
[b]Folks, licensing doesn't mean squat. Unless there is some rigorous means in place to confiscate those licenses

It's sad but true! [Linked Image]
the only comment i could add is to have a conversation with an insurance man, as the 'unlicensed' cannot usually get any liability insurance for such installs. [/B]

What is the contractors name, " Violations are Us", but whats got me confused is the piece of copper wire coming out from the bottom ko.

#112722 08/27/01 06:24 PM
Tom Offline
Here in the Mountain State, the license is just an excuse to collect $50 from us. The money goes to the State Fire Marshal. The first year after the rate increase (from $4), all the asst. marshals got new cars. We got the same ole piece of cardboard to put in our pocket. The only way a license was ever lost (as far as I know) was the electrician failed to pony up his $50 when due.

What is really interesting is who does not need a license. State employees, for one. Persons that work in a manufacturing plant for another. As if their work will never be a danger to themselves & others.

There was a bill passed by our legislature to license electrical inspectors & jurisdiction was going to go to, you guessed it, the Fire Marshall. The license fee was to be decided. Imagine that, here I am, providing a service that the government should be doing, collecting sales tax on that service, paying income tax on my share of the fee and they still want to tax (license) me? Thankfully, our gov. vetoed the bill.

Enough of this screed. I think the next time I see any topic posted that has to do with licensing, I just won't look at it. Gets the blood pressure up too much.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#112723 08/27/01 08:28 PM
P
Originally posted by Tom:

Enough of this screed. I think the next time I see any topic posted that has to do with licensing, I just won't look at it. Gets the blood pressure up too much.

Tom,

You could always pack up and move to England, then you can forget about licensing completely!
I can't guarantee that you wouldn't find a lot in our general taxation system to raise the blood pressure, however.

Link Copied to Clipboard