ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Notice the generous use of lamp cord and exposed NM in this home I'm rewiring. You can see it to the left in the picture of the exterior light. The new service is part of the Phase 1 rewire in this home.

- Tiger (Dave)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow!! What a horror show, but that last pic makes it worthwile! That is one beautiful panel install!! Two thumbs WAAAY up for that!!

Ironically, just yesterday afternoon a garage in back of a duplex (housing units) half a block away caught fire. The smoke was so bad it got into my closed apartment and set off the smoke alarm!!

The cause? According to the firefighter I talked to, it was:

Faulty wiring. Big surprise around here. (Not.) Most garages are served with #14 suspended in air from the house to the garage, with the wiring in the garage usually SO or lamp cord from the original switched lighing box.

Stupid should be painful.
M
Beautiful panel makeup! Is that a surge protector to the right (crummy monitor, can't see what the label says)?

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-10-2006).]

R
in the last photo...

oak veneer plywood... ???

Now you're just showing off...Very very nice install.

I have a question. If you go to a customer to replace a faulty switch, and you find what's in photo 1, what are you obligations? Can you legally only replace the switch and run like heck?

RSlater,
RSmike

C
Beautiful panel. [Linked Image]

But why the groundbar? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 04-10-2006).]

Peter
B
I agree with everyone, Awsome panel in the last picture.
CT, the groundbar is in due to the neutral and grounds being bonded in the MDP, this panel is a sub from the main therefor they are seperate.

Bryan L. Key
Safety Inspector/Trainer
Terry's Electric Inc.
An Xcelecom Company
600 N. Thacker Ave., Suite A
Kissimmee, Florida 34741
T
Thanks Guys. The surge suppressor is a Square D like the distribution panel. The oak plywood was a scrap I had available. The groundbar is because the grounds & neutrals aren't bonded, and...the top photo was on a replacement of a grounded outlet with a GFCI in a bathroom.

My obligation on the GFCI replacement was to show this mess to the homeowner & quote the needed repair. If they had refused the repair, I would have left it like it was & made a note of the safety issue on the invoice.

I wouldn't have installed a GFCI on Romex with no connector and "run like heck". I should have taken a picture of the repair. I removed the mismatch gem boxes & installed a double-deep box & double-device ring. A little patch & it was ready for the new devices. I found a flying splice in the attic feeding this & rewired from the attic into the bathroom.

Dave

B
This looks like one of those former lake cottages retrofitted to year round use in the chain of lakes area.

R
It's only a matter of time before the NEC allows the use of surface run exposed cables for permanent installations within our homes. Electricians will become a thing of the past. The big box places will sell kits to wire rooms, houses, garages. All of it will plug in and run along the wall surface or baseboard stuck down with ape brand glue.

It's getting crazy in the industrial environment. All the field bus networks are running on cords and cables. In an area and time when you'd want RMC the industrial production equipment is shifting towards cords. It's all the manufacturers pushing for this because they can sell a new product.

I can hear my yet to be born son and future electrician asking me 'daddy what's conduit?' Hopefully I'll be dead and buried when it happens.

Nice installation. Whenever someone mentions ground bars and subpanels I recall being at my uncle's house as a teenager and wiring up some receptacles. There was a subpanel back in the corner of the basement...when I touched it I got a shock. At the time I didn't understand why AND I luckily I wasn't wiring anything into it. Obviously a serious loss of that mischievous white wire....and/or lack of ground…or both…or neither.

RSlater,
RSmike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard