ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#107544 09/06/04 10:20 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
Mike

is it legal to run Romex across a floor that may be used as an escape route?

No NM is not to be used in this manner and I am sure that it should not be in the egress.

We do use NM for temps, but it is kept out of harms way. Never run across a floor.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107545 09/06/04 10:54 AM
M
Bob: Thank you so much for posting this thread about the electric room (as hidious as its present state indicates). About a year ago, our local fire department took a "pre-fire-plan" tour of a new Wal Mart store that was opening here. Having the interest that I have in things electrical, as well as total ignorance of many facets of this business, I was surprised to see this large metal clad enclosure in the rear of the building. For all I knew, it appeared to be a large freezer of some sort, except for the fact that the doors were marked with "Danger High Voltage" signage and the area above the enclosure was filled with dozens and dozens of raceways of every imaginable size.

Of course, this particular element was left off the tour [Linked Image], so I particularly appreciate the link you posted.

Mike (mamills)

#107546 09/06/04 11:21 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
Mike I have been seeing these pre built electric rooms more often. Wal-mart, Target, Edwards Foods, etc.

In the case of the one in my photos it is one of three prebuilt interconnected units that contain all the mechanical systems, HVAC, product refrigeration, emergency generator, energy management systems etc.

They work great for these types of stores where each store is like another.

The ones we install for Target have the store PA system, Fire Alarm system, Energy management system and of course power distribution already installed.

The good side, it is quick to get up and running. just connect up all the field wiring and turn it on.

The bad part for the EC is the store provides this so you do not get to mark it up.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#107547 09/06/04 11:29 AM
D
Mike-
Try to convince your company officer/inspector to include the power room in any future tours, if only for "familiarization" purposes.

We make it a point to require labeling on the outside of the doors of the rooms containing the Main electrical D/C, main gas valve (if inside), the fire pump (if equipped), sprinkler system shut-off and drain, and the main fire alarm panel.

In addition, we require the occupant to provide zone maps for their alarm system to be posted by the annunciator, and have the above indicated on the map.

Just my $0.02

Doug

#107548 09/06/04 12:05 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
Doug what you describe is very common here too. [Linked Image]

The actual Fire Alarm Control Panel would be in the electric room but a full function remote annunciator / control panel will be at an entry door of the FDs choice, along with the zone maps. [Linked Image]

Do you folks use Knox Boxes for entry into buildings. This is pretty much standard around here now.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#107549 09/06/04 11:24 PM
J
I don't get it. I would have been a lot cheaper and easier to use EMT, and THHN. Why would someone use Romex everywhere?

If I were an Inspector. This would be the day I write a Book. That's how many violations I would find [Linked Image]

#107550 09/07/04 05:15 PM
S
In the second picture, am I seeing every single breaker having the Visi-Trip flag showing?

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 09-07-2004).]

#107551 09/07/04 06:59 PM
D
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Dave

#107552 09/07/04 07:06 PM
C
Bob,

What is a Knox Box?

Peter

Peter
#107553 09/07/04 07:15 PM
B
After looking again at the pic,s I don't see no live wire's on the floor.
The romax is ok for temp and does not need to be staped as often in the ceiling

Why don't you tell this guy that there is pic's on the net of his job?
It is not fair that the job is not done and you are cutting this guy up with know Idea of what is going on.
How can you or anybody say anything with out being there on the job working on this project with the guy doing it

Maybe he can take some pic's of your jobs
before it is all done.
It would be nice to see some pic's of your job's that you did not pick out.
Keep running everybody else down your doing a good job

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard