ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Hi All,
Need a bit of help.....
I have emigrated to Vancouver from the UK, and I am going thro' the ITA assesment to challenge the IP/TQ exam, but can't find anyone who has vacancies on a course, any suggestions on where I can do a course ?
BCIT are full as is EJTC, I am No: 56 on the waiting list !!
Or is there a decent distance learning course ?
Cheers
Jerry

Sorry Jerry I been looking for you but all I can come up with is a code Coarse held in Kamloops I will keep asking around.

J
Both ICBA and BCEA offer code courses locally, in fact ICBA started one today in Burnaby. Unfortunately they dont seem to offer TQ refresher courses. Technical Education Services in Chilliwack used to offer distance learning for code courses, but they seem to no longer be doing this. Maybe they can give you some help on who is.

J
Hi All,
Thanks all for looking,
I am now wondering about the chance of me self studying and passing ?
but I have heard that if you fail the exam twice you have to start as an apprentice.
cheers
Jerry

W
Greetings Jerry!

My name is Robert Wagner CEO Wagner Enterprises, and have been in this trade (MASTER ELECTRICIAN) for 31 years, master for 20, as well as holding 3 other trades from MCSE, to Electronics’, Ect . . .

At present I am handicapped due to a plane crash that I had, but am still operating my own company and keeping up to date every day on what is going on locally in these four trades.

At this time, there is one inspector that is offering the course you are inquiring about.
His name is Dave Hansen from the District of Surrey BC, and you can contact the general inquiry number at the Ministry of EL Eng. In Maple Ridge at this number 604-467-7305, and ask to be transferred to the Coquitlam office, as this is where we renew our contractor licenses along with the $10, 000 Dollar El Bond, and ask them to transfer you to the Surrey office, as you will be given priority first,;- now only one of three offices in the lower main land where we can do this, so they may know of a closer inspector to you offering this course as well, also very much lest cost, about less than half of what BCIT is charging.

I know that Vincent Yu has now returned back to being the head TQ Examiner and is no longer teaching the code course EL1 at the Main Hall at BCIT at night time any longer but I would check to see who has replaced him, but I hope that this may give you some help, as there is a night class at BCIT from 7:00PM to 10:00PM from Mon, Wed, and Friday’s for 3 ½ month’s(APPROX $520.00) that will prepare you for 100% for the BCTQ, as I have taken a refresher my self and found it very close to the apprenticeship material covered by the new apprentices coming out of 4th year!
Best regard’s
Robert Wagner!

Robert William Wagner
Welcome to the Forum Bob.
Its great we are getting Inspectors and Your input too.
Thanks for your reply to Jerry's Thread.

J
Hi robert,
Many thanks for the detailed reply, I will try to ring tomorrow.
Cheers
Jerry

W
Greeting’s Jerry!

I hope you are having a bit more success!

I have made it my personal goal that just as I was given many breaks and opportunities in this trade from 1978 onward and over time to get to know many who have honest, good and reliable connections from, educating, to inspectors, to engineers, to examiners, to apprenticeship councilors and where the jobs are hiding when the economy gets into a bit of a slow down, and so I try now to help all persons who love this trade for the great satisfaction and opportunities it can bring to one still, (NOW BEING HANDICCAPED TO A DEGREE), and not in it just for how much they can make, but there is nothing wrong with that!
We all have many bills to pay!

If you are still looking for more information on the BCTQ and a job opportunity, please give Danny White a call at Grimes & White Electric Ltd at 604-596-5691, and ask for DANNY as they have one of the best reputations in the business and have been in business since the 70’s but just let him know that it was Robert and Willy Wagner who referred you to his number, as I used to (15 yrs ago), be their #1 Foreman on their hi-tech jobs.

They used to have a teacher come in after working hours whose name is Cliff who used to be part owner, and I heard on Saturday that he is still with them, and he teaches the BCTQ on a more 1 on 1 basis with all of the paper work straight from the BCIT, BCTQ course, and offer's it FREE to any employee or acquaintance of (OR USED TO) who wishes to challenge the BCTQ.

The failure is 1 strike then you must go through the entire apprenticeship, but that depends on what percentage you scored the first time, 50-65%- then you may challenge it 1 last time after a 30-day waiting period.

Beware though that there is a big difference between the BCTQ, and the classes A, B, and C CONTRACTOR LISENCES and the privileges that go with them, for you need at least a B to work as a permanent FSR next month, but an A (class 100) is the best one, if you wish to challenge that exam, it is much easier, for the BCTQ is very much harder to pass, and you are required to answer to the 4th decimal place sometimes to the 6th but each is a 70% to pass and they prefer that all work calculations are handed in with the exam which you worked out on a yellow paper slip that THEY GIVE YOU and NO PROGRAMMABLE CALC’s WITH MEMMORY ARE ALLOWED AND DO THEY CHECK YOU ON THAT, but sometimes if they can see you knew what you were doing but made 1 small error that will not compromise the safety standard of that question, they will still give you 1 mark if it is worth 3! Which can make you or break you.

Another great person to contact is DON THORSEN at the Coquitlam Office on Lincoln Drive as this is one place where you can write the TQ, as he is one of the better Apprenticeship Counselor’s, and is still working there as the Examiner and ALSO has a friend (INSPECTOR) who teaches the BCTQ! Call the phone number 604-467-7305 and ask for their number as it is not easy to get (TELUS DOES NOT EVEN HAVE IT LISTED WHEN YOU CALL 411!)
I will see what I can do on Monday for you by obtaining a copy of the PRACTICE BCTQ EXAM from Vincent at BCIT with the answers on the back upside down so you can mark your self but answers ONLY, only if you are interested wagnerenterprises@telus.net
I had one around here in my office, but I will have some digging to do.
Best Regards;
Robert Wagner!

Robert William Wagner
J
Hi Jerry
I am the instructor for the course offered by the EJTC so I have some familiarity with the subject and there appears to be some confusion on the topic.
There are two types of courses offered, generic code courses that are primarily designed to aid a learner in passing our BC Field Safety Representative Tickets A, B, or C. This type of course will assist somewhat in passing the IP but covers only Code while the IP is made up Electrical Code, Electrical Theory and Field Practice.
BCIT and the EJTC both offer courses called IP/TQ Upgrading that cover all three of the areas tested under an Interprovincial Examination. Both of these courses have long wait lists but often people ahead on the waiting list are not able to take their seats when called due to personal or financial considerations.
The rules regarding the number of times you are allowed to write have changed recently and you should check with the ITA for the current regulations in force.

J
Hi
Thanks for the reply,I spoke to the ITA, and I have two attempts already paid for, so as I can't easily find a course I am having a shot at the nov/dec exam, if all fails, I will try to get a course that apparently starts in Jan 07,and then take the exam in mar/apr 'ish'.
according to ITA I have at least three attempts at the exam and not to worry as most fail the first...
cheers
Jerry

Link Copied to Clipboard