ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102369 01/26/06 09:58 PM
C
When I was learning the EC trade in the dinosaur ages, my lead Journeyman insisted on soldering all ceiling fixture connections before installing wire nuts. It took a lot of extra time and frequently meant solder splashes on the floor or worse yet on the sock of my foot but I went on later to continue that practice, before I decided to persue other career paths in my life. I still have the old original Weller 550 watt soldering gun that still works, but is a bit dusty now.

35 years later, and perhaps starting up as an independent EC again, is this still a practice which one could follow as a returning EC?

S
If you want people to look at you funny when you are working, go ahead and solder.

R
There is nothing in the code that precludes you from doing this...

Pay attention to...

1) The mechaical state of the joint before you solder it.

2) The insulating rating of whatever tape you use to insulate the soldered joint afterwards.

3) The type of solder and flux needs to be non-reactive with copper.

Take a look at 12-112(1) & (2) and 2-114.

Having said all this... I would wonder why you would want to heat up that old Weller. I do have to admit I have my own old Weller kicking around as well as an old solder pot my father used when he was an apprentice back in the early 50s, but... I consider this stuff to be more museum exhibits then active tools.

C
I'm relatively new to the trade (5yrs) and I have found that different brands of marrettes make the difference. I ONLY use the blue IDEAL marrettes (the can-twist) because they catch and make a solid connection every time. If ya still want to solder it, buy a butane torch...those gun type soldering irons are garbage!

-CJ

Link Copied to Clipboard