ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
how about waiting until just before the inspections to make your changes. so you wont bother him while he works

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
E
ROTFLMAO!!!

Don't forget, when your electrician asks you if you had any other work done recently, say no because you know the GFCI outlet in the guest bath you wired yourself 2 days ago could have nothing to do with the outlet in the garage not working.

D
Yup, yup, yup...

Customer: "Why would I think of adding ceiling fans before it got hot outside? That's when I need them, when it's hot outside! Not when the weather is cool. The attic? I never go up there in the summer. It's too hot!"

M
When you call because your 3-way switch isn't working (because you connected it wrong)and NOOOO you never touched it. Don't leave the old one you removed laying around for the electrician to find.

P
pauluk Offline OP

Yup, yup, yup.....

Said in the manner of Al from Happy Days? [Linked Image]

3-way switch ("2-way" over here):
Funnily enough I just had a similar incident. I'm in the process of re-wiring a neighbor's house and installed two 3-ways and a 4-way at the three entrances to the living room.

He has someone else helping with the plastering, woodwork, etc. and he decided that he needed to remove one of my 3-ways from the boarded but yet-to-be-plastered wall. Sure enough, he reconnected it the wrong way, and then tried to convince the owner that it was normal for one of the three switches to have to be in one position before the other two would work.

There weren't even any other wires feeding through this switch box to confuse him, just a 3-conductor (plus ground) cable with different color wires going to the switch terminals. It's not rocket science..... [Linked Image]

(For anyone who remembers, this is the same guy who a few months ago put a screw right into the middle of a main service cable!)

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-12-2002).]

J
My doctor called me and he selling his house, needs a few things fixed so it shows well. Yep he's got a three way, he said it was a three way.
He told me the dimmer had quit and the guy he had repainting the entry hall swapped it out for him.
Three way down stairs at front door, four way at living room and three way dimmer to of stairs controlling a giant chandelier 8 grand worth of chandelier. He needed to dim the chandelier really bad to sell the place.
All was well but the dimmer was wired wrong, changed two wires and presto, doc thinks I'm a god. I let doc know that it was a four way switch by switch by dimmer by chandelier= four ways, I told him that must of throwed the painter off a bit. I told the doc that after all my years of electrical experience that I was still a lousy painter. He said stick to what you know. He'll never let another painter touch a switch again.

Lighting the way
R
Pauluk, kudos, at least I'm not alone! [Linked Image]

LOL,
Thought I'd throw this one back up to the top again!.
It's a hoot. [Linked Image]

M
When you know your electrician is comming over to service your panel, make sure you do the laundry first and hang all your underwear and bikinis from the clothes line in front of the panel so he has to duck......Oh wait a minute....never mind.

Blessings, Mark

E
e57 Offline
Always "try to put milk back in the cow" so to speak by trying to re-negotiate the price after the work is done.

Be insulting, by asking if the electrician can enter through the "service entrance", then lead him to the work to be done at the front door.

Speak only through the maid, who barely speaks english and has no idea what it is that you want.

Step out for coffee, for several hours, 2 minutes before the scheduled appointment with the electrician. When he tracks you down via your cell phone, act surprised, and say, "Well you trades people are notorious for being late, I thought I had plenty of time."

If you're a GC, call several weeks ahead of schedule, say you're ready for rough wiring, while you're only half way done with framing.

Never over-lay your plans, and have everything in the center of each room. Let the HVAC, sprinkler guy, and electrician battle it out for placement, and do all you can to "stay uninvolved".

When decisions or clarifications need to be made, sit on the list until it is at least 5 pages long, or 2 months, which ever comes last, act "over-welmed" and only attempt to solve a few of them at a time.

And......

Try to get the Electrical Contractors employees to do work "on the side" for you!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard