Yeah, I thought about the licensing issue after I made the statement about the NEC applying to all crafts. (doh!) In most jurisdictions, anyone doing electrical work would need to be licensed.

Now, thinking of past practices, some rebar systems got tied in and some didn't. So the buildings that didn't get the rebar used as a part of the grounding electrode, are they any less safe than a building that did have it tied in?

Comments please?

So back to the original question... Is the rebar system going to HAVE to be tied in to the grounding electrode system wherever the 2005 NEC is enforced? Could the AHJ require a foundation to be chipped up to get to the rebar where the rebar was not tied in before the pour? Or is the exception for "existing buildings" going to make it optional?

Yes, all this is totally up to the AHJ, but I am looking beyond the wording and semantics and interpretations of the Code. Just exactly what should we be doing for safeties sake?

Note: Being new to the forum, I am slowly getting a feel for it. I realize that the majority here are the electricians and contractors who are dealing with the realities of the construction site and dealing with the AHJ and I totally respect that. Since that is not my capacity, I tend to view these things from a more theoretical aspect, "What should we be doing to make this as safe as possible?" and "Why does that code rule exist" instead of "What is the AHJ going to make us do?"

[This message has been edited by Gary S (edited 01-01-2005).]