I just read this thread for the first time. If I was a novice, my mind would have been going back and forth (like watching a tennis match), as both sides offer good arguments - but the bottom line is I would be confused as much as amused.

With that being said, I will add my 2 cents [Linked Image], Please let me add to the confusion/amusement.

Yes when the factory punches the enclosure, the dimple has more metal, and the factory threads will have more threads for connection.(tested and listed with the enclosure)

Adding a lug to the enclosure is permitted, as long as following the installation instructions, as the NEC is a permissive document, and I do not see where it directs one not to add a lug. That being said, the paint as per 250.12 is required to be removed to provide for lower contact resistance. Threading a field punched hole in the enclosure will not provide enough threads, so a nut and bolt connection should be provided - of course with the proper torquing [Linked Image].

"300.6(A)... and support hardware shall be suitably protected against corrosion inside and outside (except threads at joints) by a coating of APPROVED corrosion-resistant material." ... That does not say paint.

In this requirement, I do not see where it mentions that the protection has to be factory provided. Just that protection is necessary - approval is by the AHJ.

Add a lug, scrape the paint - exposing the metal surface, nut and bolt, and if the location is such that protection from deterioration is necessary, add an APPROVED material to protect the exposed enclosure.

Remember - JMHO

Pierre Belarge