I should point out that the General Contractor in this case is really a team of engineers and architects (with secretaries and accountants) who act as "point men" for the jobs. Everything is subbed out, so there's "building" (framing) contractors, HVAC, plumbers, trim-carpenters, dry-wallers, drywall finishers, the electrical contractor (me), the excavators, the landscapers, the EC for the landscape lights (Joe M.), etc. etc. etc....

So the GC in this case has major interest here. In fact, on the second day of the job at the one I contracted (from the beginning) I found out from the point man that the switch boxes had to be exactly placed so that the finished door trim is 2" from the cover plate on all switches. I already knew they had spec'd for metal boxes.

So instead of hanging 40 or so boxes an hour, I'm hanging maybe, one per hour. Either have to block and shim out and/or cut chunks out of studs, and almost every recessed canister light's center line ended up with a truss in the way.

My bid at 2.5x my "normal" rate has turned into an underbid...

I would've never guessed.

Man who couldn't come out ahead on an $11K 3000 sq footer bid?

(change orders may push my original bid of $10.2K to about $12K when finished)...

Don, I agree and my gut feeling says that the intent of the code would be to have it above the basin or basin countertop, just don't have the "truth" to back me up...

It was a good opportunity for me to show how quickly I can admit to a mistake. Actually, I did the change for free including replacing the drywall (they would have back-charged me for the drywall anyway...).

I don't want to put a stop to this debate, I'd actually like to get to the bottom of it, and maybe even request a change in code. But I really don't want to be playing musical chairs with the location of this recept so if we finally decide that it should be above... I ain't moving it again.

Sorry to be stubborn, but I'm just getting a little weary.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-13-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI