Alan,

Unfortunately, you have been involved with an "Expert Of Bull****" [A Quack Of All Trades], in regards to this Freezer situation.

First off, as everyone has prevoiusly mentioned, GFCI protection is used to protect personnel [AKA The person(s) using an Appliance] in the event of a shock hazard posed to them from a Ground Fault situation [shock to Ground].

The only way a GFCI would be effective in the situation you are describing is if the Water leakage from the Freezer caused a high enough Ground fault current to "Leak" on the "Load" side of the GFCI device.
That may have tripped the GFCI and prevented the resulting fire.

That is only an assumption, and it leaves too many areas wide open, in which the resulting fire may have started much easier and the GFCI would not have been able to trip - even if the device was operating better than "average".

2: If the Investigating Person told me that a Metallic Outlet Box with smaller than 16d nails used for support of the Box, would have any merit in nullifying the heat transfer during a fire, I would ask the person to take a Breathalizer Test first to determine the Person's Toxicity / Blood-Alcohol level, then do a Psych. evaluation test to determine the Person's state of mind [only after verifying that the date is not 04/01/xx]
[Linked Image]

In all seriousness, the fact that the person has passed their own opinion of very questionable merit to ANYONE INVOLVED with the event sounds like a free ticket to dismissal from future investigating tasks!
[AKA Pink Paycheck w/ the word "Termination" printed on it!]

Here we have a Metallic Outlet Box, supported by 16d nails, in an enclosed wall made of combustible materials.
The Framing Members ["Studs"] will also have 16d nails driven through them; at the Top Plate, Bottom Plate, and to secure "Fire Blocks".
Many Metallic "Ties" used in Framing are also secured with 16d nails.

If the Metallic Outlet Box was the primary source for heat sinking [Conducting the heat from the fire to a cooler spot/spots], wouldn't this be more prone to set fire to the stud? [personally, I think the heat will concentrate on the box, then conduct much easier to the surrounding air way before flames begin to appear on the stud].
Also, if the nails are thin as compared to the heat sink, and they extend into a material which does not heat sink as easilly as the metallic items will, won't this RETARD THE HEAT TRANSFER [nullify it's conduction]???

Time to ask this Investigator to go back to his/her planet of origin and do Investigations there.
If returning to Earth, prior to doing Investigations again, be sure this person becomes more educated on the simple laws of Physics for this planet [Linked Image]

Sounds like a Quack to me!

I can see the OCPD not tripping in this event, as the load current probably did not exceed 10 amperes [lucky to see that level].
This would be a really loud and scarry fault, but of very low magnitude.

This type of event would be a prime target for AFCI devices [as pointed out by others]. GFCI's and standard OCPD's would offer very little, if no protection in this situation.

[disclamer]Just My $0.02! Not verified proof, or relavent data[/disclamer]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!