Gerald;
One would think that an organization dedicated to a "National Electrical Code" all these years,would in some manner advocate , acknowledge, or otherwise condone an electrical license.
Call me idealistic, but I think the two could compliment each other.
One would think that at least ONE of the dozens of organizations that have a ladle in the soup would have stirred this up by now.

As far as unions, my grandparents fought from their sweat shops for them. They marched on Washington long before it was popular, so if I sound a little radical here, it's hereditary. And yes they have done some good. But I don't think those at their inception would like the looks of them now, so let's not even get started down that road...

Despite being opinionated here, I am humble enough to admit my knowledge is limited as to the ongoings of the bureaucracy above me.
I hope those involved have the wisdom, and maybe a little dirt under thier nails, to relate decisions made to the real end result, not twisted statistics collected or presented in a bias manner.
I can only speak for those like myself, at the bottom of this giant managemental triangle , we've seen a lot like this come down the pike, this won't work for a lot of us.
In a certain sense, this is much like those unfunded federal mandates that every municipality will simply add to their personnel policy, and ignore.

I also do not know this 70E, but it has been proven that even I , can be educated.