Hi, all.

It's been quite a while since I've posted here. We've moved into a house that has some country stuff that I'm not used to, having always lived in the city before.

One thing (besides a water softener and sump pump) that is new to me is having water supplied by a (private) well.

I went to adjust the well pump switch (to have the pump cut in just a bit sooner when the pressure drops), and had a bit of a surprise. Here is the background information:

The pump is served by a double 15-amp (tied handles) breaker.

There is a shut-off switch (double-pole? I mean it's a switch that looks like a light switch but has 2 sets of 2 screws) next to the tank with the pump switch.

I was adjusting one of the nuts on the pump switch and had some sparks fly. Given that my pliers now have a scorch mark, should that have tripped the (double) breaker? Or is that not enough to trip it? I'm not really sure just what touched what. (Watt touched watt?)

Eventually, I would like to upgrade my main panel to a 200 amp service anyhow. What I would like to know is if the lack of the breaker tripping, even though the pliers got scorched, is not "normal."

Apparently, that shut-off switch doesn't shut off...

I'm glad I wasn't using my fingers to make the adjustment ;-O