I really don't see what the problem is with unlicensed individuals.

If people are willing to risk their lives and property by hiring unlicensed and otherwise unqualified hacks, then that is their right in a free society. And when they run into trouble, like if their home or business burns down, or they electrocute themselves, why should any of us care? (Other than the small incidental costs of having the fire department or EMS come out.)

Just like if people want to risk their lives going to unlicensed doctors. If they die, is it any skin off of anyone elses back? If people want to be stupid, I say let them!

It is NOT the job of government to protect people from themselves -- at least in the United States anyway.

If you think that a government issued license is the key to your busines success, then you might as well close up shop now and work for someone else. Unlicensed individuals are not taking ANY business away from you. If you're not getting jobs, it's not because others are unlicensed, it's because your not marketing yourself and your company, and people don't see your value.

Don't take this the wrong way, but instead of wasting your time ratting out others to the government, invest your time in promoting your OWN business. So you got a handyman to take "electrical" out his ad. Did that put any food on your table? (They're still gonna do electric work anyway).

Also look at it this way, when a handyman or other hack screws something up (like they invariably do), look at how much more you can bang 'em over the head to redo it right. Some people need a good education like this, and will truly appreciate it! My old man always used to say, "charge 'em, they'll appreciate it more..." too bad he never practiced what he preached.

Don't get me wrong, other than maybe drywall repair and minor clean-up, I wouldn't trust a handyman to so much as wire up a doorbell from what I've seen.

I also agree with others here that licensing alone doesn't assure quality work either -- just like licensing doesn't assure people can safely either, as everyone here knows. It just means you're "licensed" which will never be enough assurance for me.

Joe