This question is for the electrical community.

How do you electricians that are in business legally deal with unlicensed individuals or companies that are engaging in electrical contracting?

Here in NC, it is a felony to solicit or to enter a contract to do electrical work without first having attained a licence from the state. As a licensed electrical contractor, I resent anyone trying to take business away from me that has not bothered to attain a license. I equate this to any professional occupation that is regulated by the state such as doctors or lawyers. Can I legally advertise that I will fix broken bones, pull teeth, handle a court case for someone, or do brain surgery, if I am not a licensed doctor or lawyer? The answer is obviously no, and the primary reason is the safety of the consumers. I am responsible for everything I do in my business, and have to follow all the rules as well as carry liability insurance on my business and my commercial vehicle. This is why I look for ads in the local papers offering to do electrical work, and investigate the owners to see if they are licensed. If the business is not licensed then I complain to the state board of electrical contractors and they investigate further. Generally, what they do is strongly advise the perpetrators to immediately stop advertising electrical services, and let them off the hook with a warning. The ads are changed to reflect this by dropping the electrical references.
The state board has a full time investigator in my region that is doing his job well. Most of the ads are for handyman services that include painting, drywall, carpentry, electrical work, trash hauling etc..., they are not electricians, and have no right to advertise electrical services. One company kept sending me glossy postcards as well as big ads in the local papers advertising home remodeling and including electrical work as well. I called them and asked if they had an electrician on board, and if they were interested in subcontracting any of their electrical work. They told me that they had a "master" electrician working for them, and they didn't need my services. This got my curiosity up and I looked up their business license. It wasn't from this part of the state, and did not include electrical work.I then contacted the state board and an investigation was started. The latest ads have removed any reference to them providing electrical work.
I have seen some results of work by unlicensed individuals, and some of it is frightening and dangerous. I really don't care if someone that does electrical work for a living does a side job as a favor for someone. They have to be careful and know that they are not working legally and can get into serious trouble if they are caught. What really bugs me is blatent disregard for the law by advertising their illegal activities and taking my business away from me, while jeopardizing the safety of the customers.
My wife calls me petty and spiteful for reporting these ads, and I ask her if she is concerned if her doctor graduated medical school, has a license, and knows what he is doing.
What do you think about this?