gfretwell wrote:

They also sell 30a single pole breakers that could get put on that pesky 14 ga circuit "that keeps tripping when we hook up the xmas lights".

True, but if you opened a panel door and saw 30 amp single pole breakers in a resi panel, that would trigger a red flag, right? Now look at the same panel, with 30, 40 or 50a double pole breakers, maybe labeled "garage", "welder", "compressor", etc. and I don't think your first thought would be to look for oversizing.

There is no preventative for what some fools will try to do, especially to their own service equipment. The main issue is the horrid advice given out at the big box stores. I have yet to hear of anyone who has gotten the right advice from one of those "experts."

If the wire was properly protected when it was installed and inspected I don't think we have any control over what another installer *might* do.

Very true. That's the kind of situation that helps to keep the fire departments and fire restoration people (as well as EC's, of course) in business. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.