I received drawings from a GC for a residential remodeling project. The GC buys homes, remodels them and then sells them.

I sent the GC a list of questions concerning the job and if the property was open for inspection of existing conditions. He replied the property had been sold and the new owners are making some changes, hold off on bidding until further notice. Two days later I receive an email stating the changes are minor and please bid according to the existing drawings. Also, I really need the bid back TODAY !!!

I reply, "I need to visit the job to verify conditions."

He replies, "It will be open all day tomorrow."

So, I drive to the house, check the conditions, make my notes and drive back to the office and final my bid. Send the bid over to him and called today to follow up. He adds a couple of minor changes, I adjust my bid while on the phone and then he says, " I usually supply all material for the jobs."

So, I tell him I always supply my own material. He says, "Because you have a markup on the material."

I say, "Yes, and this prevents any problems with the material you supply being wrong."

He says, "But you will give me a list of the material and I will get it."

I say, "I have never allowed a customer to supply the material. I have a per device cost in my spreadsheet and after I enter all of the openings I have my price."

He says, "My budget price is $5000.00 for labor and no more than $4000.00 for material."

My price for the job was $10,285.00, a difference of $1,285.00. Then he adds, "Ya' know, I have a LOT of projects coming up. If I can find a contractor I can work with he could get a lot of business from me. I will compare your bid with the others I have received and I will get back to you."

At this point I am closing my spreadsheet because now I know I am wasting my time. I said, "If you should have any questions please don't hesitate to call."

What's next, they will supply all of the material AND part of the labor ?