Finally got an up-date through a relitive of my friend down there. Apparently after the hurricane, they left the hotel where he works at, to see about his wifes shop, (which had some minor damage, at the time) then went to check on family across the canal, who were also fine. Then the levees broke! Now they have no idea of the condition of their bussiness, or apartment containing thier personal belongings, and have headed to Atlanta to stay with other relitives.

As for looting, from what I understand, at this point, in NOLA proper, looting is now "Supervised" by the police. I'm not saying that to be aggressive or off in tone... But from what I understand, all supermarkets and drug stores are now public property by eminant domain, and comandeared other like property as well. Yesturday, I saw footage of a cop saying, "Stay clear of the store until we get out, and then you all can have at what ever is left over. You gatta do what you need to to do to survive at this point."

On the other hand, poeple looting the department stores are another story all together. And from what I understand, that it is now on a shoot to kill basis in at least one parish there now. Which apparentley works really well, as it all but stopped that type of activity in that parish. And lets make no mistake, that the people doing that were of already desparate stock to begin with, before this event. Poverty is an epidemic there, and only breeds desparation. And it is the most poverty stricken areas that got the worst of the flooding. It is also very well known by people who live there that the reason rents are so low in those areas is because those areas were well known death traps for this exact situation. (Simular situation happened in the 60's) No sensable buisiness savy individual, or company would invest money there due to these exact risks. Studied on this situation have been done over, and over again, and most of the area is un-insurable. They knew for a long time that those levees would eventualy fail, just didn't know when.

Hopefully, the authorities gain control and grasp of the current situation soon. Or it may come down to martial law there relitively soon if the Fed. Gov. doesn't send immediate aid. Rebuilding there is going to take years!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason