I was wondering if I am accpeted and all that- when it comes time to start work do you have to do a classic interview with the union shop contractor(?) or do you just get a dispatch and show up and start working?

Depends on the contractor and the Forman hiring you. Most of the time you get dispatched, do the paper work and go to work. The contractor does have the right to "spin" you without cause. (A very sore subject among some) I work for a very large shop and we have to go through an interview process when hiring members. The guy may not realize it but that is what it is. If I don't feel he is going to work out I can send him back to the hall. I also have to check if he/she has ever worked for us before. There have been a number of times where a guy was fired on a job in one county and took a call in another to the same company. The payroll lady catches it and notifies the superintendents and the guy that hired him gets in trouble for not checking. (No this is not a black list. It is not shared among other contractors. An employer has a right to keep employee records and hire who he chooses to protect his best interest.)

Work in the area is always a concern union or not. I can tell you anyone not working in Southern California over the past year is not working by choice.